Spearfisher recovering after being bitten multiple times in Queensland croc attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pressurehead

Without risk, you earn nothing. OK?
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The dives we do are risky. Everything is trying to kill us out there. Sharks, Crocs, Eels, Propellers, & the gun itself.

Last week another spearo off Tampa was shot with a gun and he wasn't moving when hoisted up to the helicopter. Like all diving > don't push a bad situation.

Honestly, what person in their right mind would spearfish or even swim in the Cooktown area?

Honestly, what person in their right mind would spearfish or even swim in the Cooktown area?
Why is that? Are there that many crocs around? I went free diving from the beach in the Cape Tribulation agrea once. The locals had told me it was OK outside of jellyfish season.

Why is that? Are there that many crocs around? I went free diving from the beach in the Cape Tribulation agrea once. The locals had told me it was OK outside of jellyfish season.
I was there in 2007 and the local diving instructor, Richard Lee, warned me about crocs being much more dangerous than sharks...
We went down the Telegraph path from Cairns to Cooktown, with a Nissan Patrol and my wife and our two sons..
We did sleep at the Cape Tribolation hostel and we had a short snorkeling there. But there were warning signs about the crocs and we were told to be very careful.
It is really a pity, as there are very nice beaches and reefs, but risking your life for crocs is not for me.

I only saw those warning signs at rivers crossings, not at the beach.

Inshore Cooktown is certainly croc country - you would have to be a stubbie short of a six pack to go spearfishing there.

Another crocodile attack only a few days before in FNQ on someone sleeping on the beach. Every beach and the water north of Cairns is certainly crocodile land. I have personally swum off the beach north of Cooktown, but I was not spearfishing and the water was so clear and shallow, I could check that there were no crocodiles around before I went in (and I was not in very long).

More people die from crocodile attacks in Australia than sharks on average.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom