Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last trip out just this sunday I shot these large spades I had to string them through the mouth as well as it seemed they would never die even once on the boat 30 minutes later they were still kicking.

These are steel stringers. People hunting on scuba generalluse this type of stringer:

String1.jpg

Ray Odor sells them here:

http://www.spearfishing.cc/Stringers.htm

I had been carrying my stringer rigged like this:

stringer-old.jpg

Problem is, if I have fish on and a large predator decides to grab them I might be going for a ride. Potentially a serious problem if I'm low on air at the time. With that brass clip on a D ring on my BC, I think it could be very difficult to release it if I'm being dragged by the stringer. Thanks to a comment by Pat, I used a blown out rain day one saturday to modify it. I bought a utility strap with a quick release buckle at Walmart for about $2, and the I used a stitch-awl to sew the strapping the way I wanted it. I now have this:

stringer-new1.jpg

AT least now if something grabs it and I need to get free, one pinch of the buckle will to the trick:

stringer-new2.jpg

very good idea wayward i need to hook mine up like that. I always clip mine off to my bc but when having a heavy stringer of fish onboard pray a shark or jew doesn't grab it while I am not looking.

A couple comments. I string sheepies through the eyes. Never a bite, knock on wood.

The safety pin stringer is OK for tank divers.

The plastic snap release is available from Trident. Easy to make yourself as we see.

If you use a spike, don't permanently attach anything to the bitter end. That end should stay free so the fish can be stripped off by pulling back through.

Scuba divers who use a spike should attach the string to the right side. A shorter line is required, otherwise just wind the loose string on the weight and stick the spike into the gap between belt and weight. However, this does not work for quick release so the tank diver who is concerned about this might want to go with the safety pin, etc.

pescador775:
If you are a freediver, get a pair of Avanti tre fins and a frameless mask. Buy a pair thin neoprene socks, not boots. Get a CO2 vest (UDT vest) Get a plain tube snorkel, no valves or stuff like that. The old Dacor with flex tube was great. If you are right handed, wear the snorkel on the left. Purchase a Biller 48 mahogany with three notch arrow and detachable head. Purchase an Australian reel from Spearfishing Specialties, (but not the gun).

whoa. "interesting" advice for a Freedive Spearo.

First off, Avanti ARE NOT FREEDIVING FINS. they are decent scuba and snorkling finds at best. A frameless mask is NOT needed, rather get any low volume mask that fits. Biller guns are heavy, clunky and non-hydrodynmic. fine for the slow moving bubble blower but a Pain in the *** for a freediver. check out some of the Euroguns on tjhe market (Omer & Rob Allen are nice) or some or Riffe or Wong;s teak masterpeaces. a UDT Vest? HUH? forget the vest.

keep your fish on a FLOAT. this is teathered to your gun by a float line. a steel spike stringer is king. wear a knife. it should be sharp, very sharp, and accesable with BOTH hands.

http://www.spearfishinggear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FP&Category_Code=P

a great way tio get into freediving spearing is the kit in the link above.

also, spend some time on www.deeperblue.net, worlds largest freedivign and spearfishing site. mostly freedive spearos but the odd bubble blower kicking around.

if you're into scuba spearing I suggest to listen to the lads here and check out www.spearboard.com.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing:lol:
last I knew arrows were shot on land and shafts were shot underwater.

I switched over to the "Pinch-Buckle" also for the stringer. It's a great practical idea for those of us on scuba, rather than getting dragged around while in the middle of a fight.

but having fish on a stringer make that an atraction for shark and possible nibble or two?

sea_dragon:
but having fish on a stringer make that an atraction for shark and possible nibble or two?

What do you suggest as an alternative for hunting on scuba deep enough that a return trip to the surface after each fish is not a real option?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom