Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm:
Best of luck, Pete -- for those like me who suck air like a race horse, the SA is just too small. I'd get one deep breath, enough to contemplate the folly of my ways :).
As the original poster wisely noted, one possible use of the spare air would be to avoid panic while swimming over to a buddy and sharing air. Even at a really, really excited 1.5cfm rate at 100'/4ata it gives you 30 seconds.

Both spare air and ponies have their limits. A wise diver will understand them.

Absolutely true, no disagreement with that. I just like having my own fully independent source to get topside.

If I ever dove with a buddy who was 30 seconds away, it would be my last dive with that buddy.

Even 15 seconds is too far away.

radinator:
If I ever dove with a buddy who was 30 seconds away, it would be my last dive with that buddy.

I was researching the IANTD Deep Air/Rec Trimix class and one of the skills required is to simulate an OOA swimming 45 feet while exhaling. I wonder how many divers could do that? Seems to me it would take at least 30 seconds.

If you do non-dive-specific travel (vacation with non-diving spouse), every dive is your last dive with that buddy. Some are good, some are bad, some vanish until it's time to get back on the boat.

Terry

radinator:

Wayward Son:
Didn't know they made bigger ones.

I don't have a pony rig. I have thought a lot about it. Most of my diving is spear fishing, 75 to 100 FSW is common, sometimes a bit deeper. A redundant supply is appealing to me. It is a trade between acceptable capacity, manageability & extra weight. A 40cf is just bigger & heavier than i want to carry. Even a 30. I've concluded that for my most common dives, a 13cf is minimum & a 19 about the biggest I want to hassle with.

See what you've done! I just bought the 6 cf model. Of course, I got it from Larry. :07:

That's the neat thing about equipment -- it may indeed be absolutely the perfect item for you, yet not for someone else.
Even given two people use the same backup approach, you then get the how-to-carry-it issue; the method I use works for me, "fits" as it were, is something that for me meets the definition of being good enough, while others have strong opinions that it is bad -- different strokes for different folks.

markfm:
different strokes for different folks.

That's hilarious if you think about it in terms of DIR. Was that intended? :D

Now, now, I'm playing nice :)
(I have nothing against DIR, deeply appreciate that things change if one chooses to pursue more technical diving, but it's NA to what I do. Kind of similar to my feelings about professional race drivers, with multi-point restraints, helmets, fire retardant clothing -- it's all super, good stuff, safer than the safety systems and clothing I drive in, but please don't expect me to get tense about not gearing up that way to drive my SUV 5 miles to work. Most people, end of the day, dive to enjoy themselves I would hope, making a conscious decision of the risk/benefit of how they go about their diving.)

radinator:

I agree totally and if I had a reg that failed I would not use it either but stuff happens and being prepared is the key. My Buddie i.e. wife most of the time is never more than 5 or 10 seconds away but, what if?

Not to mention - Diving alone. We just won't go there yet...:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom