Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For once, could the pony bashers try to get a grip, realize that there are people who travel, like a degree of redundancy, yet have no need or desire to be on doubles. We may not meet your self-annointed only way to dive, haven't seen the burning bush, but we somehow survive.

At a certain point people decide their level of acceptable risk. Don't worry, we're content if you won't dive with us because we don't meet your standards.

(This has nothing to do with honest-to-God technical divers, doing penetrations, cave, deep, etc., simply those who try to impose technical diving requirements on recreational divers -- get a life.)

Charlie99:
And doubles will even more surely get you to the surface. Why are you satisfied with merely 19cf. I can imagine many, many situations where a 19cf pony is inadequate.

Perhaps we should start calling those puny 19cf tanks "death tanks".
Ouch!! rough crowd :) Yes, there are many situations where a 19cf is insufficient, but you're missing the point of this thread.. As for those situations where 19cf is inadequate, you must always try never to get yourself in those situation. I carry my 19cf when diving beyond 50' and when I'm not familiar with my buddy. Would I take it penetrating a wreck or below 100'? not a chance would get myself in those "situations" to begin with.

Cheers

Enrique

Well, Thanks everyone. It seems that my best move for what I want is to go with the 19CF for now. Maybe as I get more into technical dives then I will move to doubles.

My purpose here was to find a suitable bailout plan as I do dive much diving between 100 and 120 FSW. I avoid staying long enough to earn a DECO stop and I do Multi level profile. Usually 110 for 10 minutes to 50 fsw remainder of my time / air. Of course this is only when diving this deep is nessesary or available. I am content at 30 feet if there is something to look at, and there usually is.

For some reason though, maybe getting narc'd, I really enjoy the trainquility at 90+ feet. Its very... peaceful... floating along a wall!

My big dream is diving some deep wrecks off Hatteras and Diamond shoals but thats down the road a bit as I am not yet prepared nor experienced enough for those wrecks. I have no desire to just bounce them and say I was there, I want to spend some time and look around.

Bottom line, I think I got my answer.

You know,

Larry and I were discussing this today. I have always scoffed at Spare Air, but as I pointed out in another thread, without having tried it, that makes MY opinon completely baseless. So, I am in the hunt for a spare, spare air! If you can let it loose for a bit, I promise to return it. I just want to try it from 120 fsw to SEE how it actually works!

markfm:
simply those who try to impose technical diving requirements on recreational divers -- get a life.)
I feel your pain, Bro, I feel your pain! :D

BTW, has anyone tried www.Scuba-Directory.com??? We aren't even listed!

LavaSurfer:
My purpose here was to find a suitable bailout plan as I do dive much diving between 100 and 120 FSW. I avoid staying long enough to earn a DECO stop and I do Multi level profile. Usually 110 for 10 minutes to 50 fsw remainder of my time / air. Of course this is only when diving this deep is nessesary or available. I am content at 30 feet if there is something to look at, and there usually is.

I do those profiles all the time - with a steel 100 and my buddy uses a 120. Why not just more air and a buddy?

NetDoc:
You know,

Larry and I were discussing this today. I have always scoffed at Spare Air, but as I pointed out in another thread, without having tried it, that makes MY opinon completely baseless. So, I am in the hunt for a spare, spare air! If you can let it loose for a bit, I promise to return it. I just want to try it from 120 fsw to SEE how it actually works!

I'm going to Coz in January and if Larry wants to send me one, I'll be happy to give it a try and report on it. :D

Yes, I know Coz is devastated, but I have hope for my hotel and dive operation.

Best of luck, Pete -- for those like me who suck air like a race horse, the SA is just too small. I'd get one deep breath, enough to contemplate the folly of my ways :).

redhatmama:
I do those profiles all the time - with a steel 100 and my buddy uses a 120. Why not just more air and a buddy?

Its more about security than anyhing else.
Scenario: Reg fails at 120 fsw and buddy is around behind a large sponge for a second or behind a coral pilar. Panic sets in and wham, instant disaster.

I tell myself all the time, as do many of us, we could handle that scenario just fine and remain calm... Find our buddy.... and get the octo.

But in reality, until it happens we never know what will happen so the idea of having some spare is a good practice at a depth where a safe CESA is almost imposible without passing out.

Even the best buddies are looking at things and may get out of sight for a second here and there and thats when its all going to hit the fan.

I am not trying to appear paranoid, just realistic and want to be safe. I get too comfortable at times at depth and need to remember that if something happens, I have seconds to react and want the best options available to me.

I use a 19 Cu Ft for shallow dives and a 30 for dives down to 130'. It's enough to get me to the surface with a nice slow ascent, including a safety stop. Since I don't mysteriously "go into deco", or do overhead environments, I have no need to anything more than what is required to make a safe ascent in case of an emergency.

It would be nice to have a buddy I can rely on , but having done quite a bit of travel where I get a new buddy every day, I'm unlikely to trust my life to a new stranger every day.

You're free to bring your doubles if you can figure a way to get them in your luggage.

Terry

Charlie99:
And doubles will even more surely get you to the surface. Why are you satisfied with merely 19cf. I can imagine many, many situations where a 19cf pony is inadequate.

Perhaps we should start calling those puny 19cf tanks "death tanks".

Back
Top Bottom