"Spare Air" - Experience in its use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone recall those old safety valves on the tanks before SPG-supposedly you pulled or pushed the lever and had 500 psi in reserve? I have one on an old steel 72 (that I need to disable). That might be more useful for your videographer friend.

That would depend on the failure mode you are trying to ameliorate. If you just want to guard against the poor job managing your gas supply then that, or even a scubapro Mk7 "Honker", could do the job. But there are other failure modes like an LP hose failure that would not be defended by such an approach. I'm not really concerned with running out of gas due to inattention. But I still drag out the old Mk7 just to see the responses for some folks who have never seen one.

Well, I agree that none of those are ideal but I guess if someone really finds looking at their SPG too much of a hassel then there is only so much you can do.

Making it the only piece of scuba gear which allows you to run out of air TWICE on the same dive! :eyebrow:

A sufficiently determined diver can run out of air twice or thrice or ... on the same dive with isolated doubles and/or a pony of any size. Or stage/swing/deco bottles.

Last edited:
They sell a manifold to double 'em up. You can get them configured for Trimix and even get 'em O2 cleaned. :wink:

...all I know is I'm sure I saw Pamela Anderson on Baywatch do a few successful Spare-Air cave dives.

A short note of thanks for all those who have contributed and taken the time to respond here. I certainly seek to keep an open mind on all....

...an open mind is fine, as long as you're not so 'open' your brain falls out......

If you are that sloppy of a diver, please, PLEASE find something else to do with your time. You'll risk the lives of those who are recovering your body.

...that's a point well made......the Spare Air might let you drown at a shallower depth, increasing the chances of at least a body recovery...so that's somethin' ......

I have an opinion on the Spare-AIr but other people have already voiced it. I'm just posting now for no good reason-but then again, the thread could have probably stopped after the first page and we would still be in the same boat
:)

...but where would the fun be in that ? ......spoilsport! ...although honestly, I'm kinda hoping the OP poses this question over on 'thedecostop'....would be um.....entertaining to say the least!

I see scubafanatic is trying to improve on post counts. :wink:

Eleven years ago when I didn't know any better, I bought a Spare Air. It made sense at the time, a redundant source of air, etc. etc. Then I tried it out from a depth of 90 ft in a controlled and calm situation. It breathed harder than my reg, and was close to empty at the surface.

It then went on to develop a slow leak, which could never be reliably fixed. I gave up on it.

It has been gracing the back of my dive closet for eleven years now, and for diving in colder Great Lakes waters, I prefer the yellow item in my dive avatar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom