"Spare Air" - Experience in its use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, there are two sizes, I agree the 3 CF is not good for anything, but what about the 6 CF model? Which is being used and tested?

I don't think they have a 6CF model. They only list 3CF, 1.7 CF and their newest 1.1CF model.:shakehead:

Are you thinking of Zeagle or H2Odyssey? They start at 6CF and go up.

Last edited:
Now, I'm really confused here.

Many people here say that a diver is better off without a Spare Air and should instead develop better buddy skills to ensure a redundant air source. That makes a degree of sense. So, why do so many divers here carry a pony? Why not just develop better buddy skills?

I'm sorry folks, but the Spare Air versus No Spare Air argument is a stupid one.

If someone came up with a really good argument for Spare Air and all of the really good divers around here were to endorse it, that still does not mean it would save your life.

Because, for some dives, the conditions may not make an AAS the most practical solution.

For instance,

1. Low viz dives, where buddy separation is an added risk.
2. High Current conditions, where divers may not be able to reach eachother quickly.
3. Deep dives, where the dual demands on a single cylinder could lead to a double OOA emergency.
4. Cold Water diving, where dual demand on a single 1st stage could initiate a free flow, leading to a double OOA emergency.

An appropriately sized pony bottle, coupled with the correct training, provides complete redundancy for an emergency ascent.

Deceptive marketing is always a bad thing.

And redundant too!

:eyebrow:

If you are that sloppy of a diver, please, PLEASE find something else to do with your time. You'll risk the lives of those who are recovering your body.

whatever.....I know you know it all........oh & BTW......GEAUX TIGERS.....ROTFLMAO....
LSUNC07040.jpg

The cost of this is that despite many attempts to get a comitted buddy to stick around, they more often than not -don't. Indeed, even with good intentions, they stray away even at say 30 metres depth. :depressed: Am I alone with this, or is this a problem world-wide in the diving fraternity- probably, though I know some who will say, get a responsible mate, do you ever travel alone???! IMHO this is not practical, always.

So in a nutshell you might as well be a solo diver. If I dove solo I would want something that was fully redundant. Which in that case means slinging a 30/40 cuft bottle. Yeah, they are big they can be bulky but typically they cost the same as a Spare Air.

Besides, when gearing up if your insta-buddy asks about it you can just say it is my redundancy incase you decide not to be a buddy.

Now, I'm really confused here.

Many people here say that a diver is better off without a Spare Air and should instead develop better buddy skills to ensure a redundant air source. That makes a degree of sense. So, why do so many divers here carry a pony? Why not just develop better buddy skills?

Remember, "Spare Air" is a trademark of a redundant air system made by Submersible Systems. The LARGEST model only holds 3CF of air.

A "pony" is any small tank that is not your main supply and is USUALLY between 13CF and 45CF. In general, the better trained and more experienced divers tend to carry more redundant air than less experienced divers.

A "Spare Air"tm is just a tiny "pony" but most "ponies" are not "Spare Air"tm.

What most people here are saying is for most dives, you would be better off with better training and no redundant air at all than poor training and only 3CF of redundant air. Many of us also think that only 3CF of redundant air is almost useless no matter what your training is on anything but the shallowest of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom