"Spare Air" - Experience in its use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaseeker

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Last week I had enough of buddy's wandering off and bought a "Spare Air" spare tank which now gives me some comfort of a second air source, ( to 30 metres). Unfortunately I have not had a chance to fully test this out.

I would be curious to know what others have found in testing it, but PLEASE - I really don't want arguments for and against use of pony tanks! :no: I've already balanced this up and made my decision.

After I bought my first pony 13cf, I tried it at 100 ft. I just switched to my pony at 100 ft and did a normal accent including a safety stop. I came to the conclusion 13 cf was not enough for me. You bought it, try it for your self. Make your own conclusion.

]! :no: I've already balanced this up and made my decision.

You've made your decision (a bold and decisive move) based on something. What?

Not being argumentative here, just curious. If you made a "normal" ascent and did a safety stop why do you consider your pony set-up (13 cu. ft.) to be inadequate for emergency use?

Another Dave in Georgia

I'd be interested to know how you came to the decision that a spare air would satisfy your requirements. What were your criteria?

When the product was initially tested, they found that it was perfectly adequate for getting out of an aircraft that had just crashed into the water.

...it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion...

Come on guys! Where are all the comments?

scubaseeker - at least you've started thinking about it, that's good. Unfortunately, you've fallen victim to good marketing. The SpareAir doesn't hold enough 'spare air' to keep you breathing during a controlled ascent.

Which it is. Provided it stays on top of the water. It was never intended to assist divers. It just happened that some guy tried it and then said "hey, how many planes actually crash? But now many poorly trained divers are out there that run out of air? I can sell this to those who don't do the calculations and realize that using this from 100 feet ain't gonna work." I have two friends that carry them but they rarely go below 40 feet. I still advise them to get rid of them and work on their buddy skills. If you are going to dive alone or with insta buddies you cannot trust, and plan on diving to 100 feet, get 19cu ft bottle. Enough air for the ascent, stop, and much more reliable. BTW many reports of spare air regs not working after they've been filled a few times. And if you bought it new you paid close to 300. Could've gotten a 19, and a reg from ebay for half that, had it serviced, and be way better off. Leave the spare air for the chopper pilots it was designed for. an extra few seconds to pop the release and exit while still within a few feet of the surface.

I teach redundant air source deployment in my AOW class. Spare airs are not permitted.

In an attempt to address the OP’s request:
They typically don’t breathe as easily as most alternate second stages.
They need proper care (rinsing) and periodic servicing just like other air sources.

And although this board almost unanimously slams them, if I were out of air, I’d rather have a Spare Air than nothing. Like almost any other device, it’s just a tool – to be used or mis-used.

The SpareAir doesn't hold enough 'spare air' to keep you breathing during a controlled ascent.

Making it the only piece of scuba gear which allows you to run out of air TWICE on the same dive!

:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom