Spadefish point no more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ctx120

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
in april 2010 I dived with JDC ( jupiter Dive Center ) at Spadefish point filled with tropicals & the place was filled with Spadefish. Today for our second dive we went to Spadefish point what a surprise heading to this location (drift dive ) the area was barren no fish if I had to count the fish the count was low .The cause of this was the lion fish , we did spot about 3 of those creatures , Sandy (jupitermermaid ) got to kill just one . What a shame a place filled with life is no longer there for us to enjoy .

KIll the lion fish

I find it hard to believe that the Lionfish would be high up in the water column gobbling up spadefish to the point of extinction. Perhaps the Spadefish have move to another location either temporarily or permanently.

I am sure the lion fish have an impact but I am an avid teens4oceans webcam watcher,my fav. cam is under the bridge at Bahai Honda in the keys, and the difference even 5 minutes can make in the number and kind of species hanging out there is amazing. Spade fish are usually seen in great numbers and then "poof" no spade fish for 2 days. The following day there may be so many that you can't see past them. They may have just been hanging out at a different reef that day.

What a shame a place filled with life is no longer there for us to enjoy .

Thousands of spadefish on Friday when we dove, were on the Center Street dive spot which is very close to Spadefish point.

Also no more lobster left in Jupiter, try Boynton. :D :rofl3:

Thousands of spadefish on Friday when we dove, were on the Center Street dive spot which is very close to Spadefish point.

Also no more lobster left in Jupiter, try Boynton. :D :rofl3:

ALL of the lobsters walked down to the Keys last week and then were poached by the fishing vessel Trinity (see the other threads). There were a few left in Monroe County but that's all of them in the entire state.

I am an avid teens4oceans webcam watcher.

This is great, thank you for this webcam.
teens4oceans

I also notice the fish leave when the lionfish come to the area. My hopes are that they are in a different location on the reef and not dinner for the lionfish.

Plenty of spadefish on Tunnels yesterday.

jupiter_024.jpg

and 1 less lionfish.

Tunnels....Tunnels.....

My favorite site in Florida - truly fantastic

Although due to its location the viz can be iffy, looks like you had great conditions. Its a great dive - did I mention its my favorite!

Forgot to mention. Dive FREE on your Birthday, the reason for my trip. I like JDC for hunting and large animals, but Boynton has way nicer reefs for color and corals.

. At Hens and Chickens we always see lionfish now(ball 10). That being said, we are seeing a crazy amount of groupers at ball 10.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom