Trip Report Jacksonville Dives with Nautical Divers (Mayport)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishhy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went this past Saturday for a 3 tank dive off of Jacksonville with Nautical Divers.
I've never dove with them before, or off Jacksonville, so I wasn't sure what to expect going out.

The boat (RV Explorer) was nicely equipped for diving and had plenty of shade and even some AC in the cabin.
The boat also had a couple other tricks up its sleeve - a lift on the back (no climbing ladders), and a pizza oven (yes, you read that right).

The trip out was quite long as the cruising speed is about 16kts and you start a few miles inland on the intercoastal (great location for me!).
After about a 2 1/2 hour trek we arrived at the first location; "Aquarium Barge" aka Aqua Barge- (Max Depth about 65')
We chained up to one of the ballards on the barge and descended down the line.
Visibility was a slightly green-ish 15-20 feet. There was a LOT of life on the wreck and schools of the "endangered" red snapper.

After about 45min underwater we returned to the boat and made way to the next stop - "Maxi" (Max Depth about 70')
The visibility here was slightly better with about 25ft visibility.
We were greeted with large schools of spadefish and some of the largest barracuda I've ever seen.
This wreck also had some of the healthiest SPS coral colonies I've seen off florida.

The third dive set us further south to the Navy Barge. (Max depth about 75')
Visibility fluctuated here and we had close to 40-45 feet visibility for a short time before dropping back down to about 30 feet.
This one was sadly extremely covered in fishing line and my buddy was entangled pretty badly at one point.
More huge red snapper and some "booming" which sounded like a Goliath (though I never saw one).

Also came across some cardinal fish as well as lots of lawnmower blennies.
On return to the boat, they had hot pizza waiting and a cold beer to welcome us, nice touch!
The crew and captain were great, and if you haven't been off shore Jacksonville, and you live here or are visiting, it's worth a trip.
I've been told August is the best for visibility and it has started to drop off a little, but I was overall pleasantly surprised.
No thermocline at any of the sites, with about 85F top to bottom.

Here's a video comprised of the clips from the dive.

Went this past Saturday for a 3 tank dive off of Jacksonville with Nautical Divers.
I've never dove with them before, or off Jacksonville, so I wasn't sure what to expect going out.

The boat (RV Explorer) was nicely equipped for diving and had plenty of shade and even some AC in the cabin.
The boat also had a couple other tricks up its sleeve - a lift on the back (no climbing ladders), and a pizza oven (yes, you read that right).

The trip out was quite long as the cruising speed is about 16kts and you start a few miles inland on the intercoastal (great location for me!).
After about a 2 1/2 hour trek we arrived at the first location; "Aquarium Barge" aka Aqua Barge- (Max Depth about 65')
Visibility was a slightly green-ish 15-20 feet. There was a LOT of life on the wreck and schools of the "endangered" red snapper.

After about 45min underwater we returned to the boat and made way to the next stop - "Maxi" (Max Depth about 70')
We were greeted with large schools of spadefish and some of the largest barracuda I've ever seen.
This wreck also had some of the healthiest SPS coral colonies I've seen off florida.

Visibility fluctuated here and we had close to 40-45 feet visibility for a short time before dropping back down to about 30 feet.
This one was sadly extremely covered in fishing line and my buddy was entangled pretty badly at one point.
More huge red snapper and some "booming" which sounded like a Goliath (though I never saw one).

On return to the boat, they had hot pizza waiting and a cold beer to welcome us, nice touch!
The crew and captain were great, and if you haven't been off shore Jacksonville, and you live here or are visiting, it's worth a trip.
I've been told August is the best for visibility and it has started to drop off a little, but I was overall pleasantly surprised.

Pizza and beer after dive 3??!!!! OK, if I'm ever in Jacksonville and looking to dive, I gotta give this operation a try!

How much was the charter given the distance to the dive sites?

A 3-tank trip is always nice when the boat ride is long. One of the boats I've used off of Naples arranges a 3-tank trip as well.

Pizza and beer after dive 3??!!!! OK, if I'm ever in Jacksonville and looking to dive, I gotta give this operation a try!

How much was the charter given the distance to the dive sites?

A 3-tank trip is always nice when the boat ride is long. One of the boats I've used off of Naples arranges a 3-tank trip as well.
The trip is $250 but they do have dive cards which give you a better value. They also include all 3 nitrox tanks in that cost.

Nice Jacksonville video! and great writeup.

Looks awesome. we were suppose to go this sunday but the weather looks to be bad. Looking forward to this dive. Thanks for sharing

Very nice and fishy

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom