SP or Apeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekkie

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking at buying my first regulator. I think that I have narrowed it down pretty good. I want a regulator that I won't have to replace for at least ten years. I also want a regulator that is Dir recomended, nitrox capable, wreak capable and cave capable. And also I don't want to really spend more than $700.00 for a first and second stage. Here are my two main choices:

Scubapro:
Mk25/G250HP

Apeks:
DS4 DIN with Yoke Converter/Tx50
Tx100

Is one better than the other?
I like the Apeks because it's first stage is dry sealed, but the Apeks will be a little harder to get.
How does the Scubapro handle in cold water?
I'v heard that Apeks is a little better in cold water, but I want to hear some Scubapro owners' oppinons.

Thanks a Lot!
Tekkie.........

Not sure what makes a regulator wreck or cave capable, except by having two of them on an isolation manifold. DS4 first stages are a favorite for this. I opted for the ATX200 over the DS4 however - very nice hose routing on doubles, but crappy routing on H valves if left in the same configuration (yet to find a nice H valve hose routing).

As far as DIR recommended - the DS4 doesn't have the swivel of the Mk25. Go to www.gue.com/equipment/regulators.shtml for a readup of what is "DIR" recommended. They will usually just give a list of features rather than specific models though.

Not sure what literature you've been looking at, but both the TX50 and TX100 regulators have been superceded by ATX50 and ATX100 respectively - the first stages have remained the same, the second stages have changed.

Apeks are always available online, for a lot less than $700.

And there's nothing wrong with Scubapro regs. Both are quality pieces of equipment.

They are both great regs and they both are used by DIR divers. Either way you go you will be fine so I would say go with which one you can get serviced easiest and which one you can get the best deal on.

Good luck.

Chad

Go with ScubaPro - Breath great, easy to get serviced, extremely reliable.

I just got an ATX 200 online at Leisurepro for 379 another 100 for a ATX 50 Octopus and you have a great rig. Use the other 220 to buy a gift for your significant other and you got your ass...ets covered completely :)

Is one better than the other? Not really. They are both excellent performers and excellent brands.

Apeks comes out of the box as a sealed diapham first stage, better for cold water. If you are diving cold water, below 50F, then the SP piston must be kitted/sealed. It is not a big deal.

I would choose based on ease of servicing/availability of parts.

Back
Top Bottom