South Jersey shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southjerseydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey everyone, i have done alot of dives off of southern new jersey but the cost of it is killing me. i was wondering if there were any great shore dive sites in southern new jersey. i know the shore diving in northern jersey is great, but what about south? any help

Come up to Belmar, I don't really know any further South

The Deauville Inn in Strathmere is supposed to be a good dive. Must say I haven't done it myself but have had a lot of buddies that say its a good dive. Lot of Depression glass bottles recovered there.

Then there's always Shark River inlet or Pt. Pleasant Bridge.

Then there's always Shark River inlet or Pt. Pleasant Bridge.

Ah, yes... Shark River Inlet. Where one poor student really learned to dive during the summer of 1970.

At night, climbing over the rocks on the south side of the inlet.

With an original Ikelite (I believe it is still around somewhere).

The exhaust bubbles looked like steel ball bearings.

My parents came down one evening to watch. My dear mother later told me that it was the longest hour of her life. She saw nothing; she heard only the noises of the tank and weight belt banging against each other and against the rocks.

Oh those rocks. Yes. I agree. They are very scary to climb up or down.:rofl3:

We used to enter on the other side but there were too many fishermen (and women).

i know the shore diving in northern jersey is great, but what about south? any help

Ok, now I love NJ diving as much or more than anyone, but let's be honest:

- Shore diving in Bonaire is great
- Shore diving in Maui is great
- Shore diving in California is great

Shore diving in NJ? A nice way to get a dive in without paying charter costs, maybe. Fun way to spend an hour? Perhaps. But great? Dunno about that.

:eyebrow:

Better than nuttin

Well, you do see a lot of star fish. And late in the summer, you can see a lot of tropicals that get swept up here on the Gulf Stream.

I'm just not a hard core tech diver and don't have the equipment or training for NJ boat dives. Plus you have to get up so early. :rofl3:

I'm just not a hard core tech diver and don't have the equipment or training for NJ boat dives. Plus you have to get up so early. :rofl3:

Yeah, there is that. The inlet doesn't leave at 7am promptly!

But don't sell yourself short on training needed for NJ boat dives. AOW is all that's really needed, and your profile shows you as Rescue. As for gear, a rented pony is really all you need beyond OW gear.

There are several shops in NJ that run "Intro To NJ Wreck Diving" trips on Gypsy Blood and other boats. Typically a nice easy dive on some in-shore wreck in the 70-80ft range with a DM and/or instructor to help you get the most out of it. I encourage anyone that lives in NJ to give local wreck diving a try at least once.

If you ever want to come give it a try, give me a shout, happy to hook you up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom