Sounds like a broken record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Most likely a norte on Wednesday in Coz. Tuesday Houston will see 32F and strong north winds. Sorry.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora

One only needs to check the calendar to know that these will be frequent. Some years are worse than others, but November is what it is. The sun moves south, the dark north gets colder, heavier air falls pushing to the south with nothing on the Great Plains to slow it, then it's downhill from the Llano Estacado.

Get them over with by 12/14-22nd! It never Norte’s on my parade:)

I wonder how long before most adults of diving age no longer really understand the phrase "like a broken record"?

One of my patients uses "skipping the groove" so I asked her where she thought that came from. She had no clue, though she clearly has the meaning right.

It's sort of like those icons for functions that everyone recognizes but fewer and fewer really understand, such as the floppy disk for saving, rotary phone handset for phone, reel-to-reel tape for voicemail, and so on. Then there are everyday terms such as "taping", when you can no longer even buy recording tape or devices that use it. How about "carbon copies" for people who've never seen a typewriter?

Disappointing about the repeated nortes, though.

Most likely a norte on Wednesday in Coz. Tuesday Houston will see 32F and strong north winds. Sorry.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora
What are the criteria for moving boats to the East side? We had a day last week that the port was closed after we left on the Felicity. I was hoping that I would get to dive the East side the next day but no luck. Norther did the hit and run. Still had amazing dives nevertheless.

By the way, the Northern sites are a homerun! Ewww, sorry about the baseball reference! Maybe next year...

Jay

Then there are everyday terms such as "taping", when you can no longer even buy recording tape or devices that use it.
Actually, you can. There are tape afficionados to whom nothing digital can ever sound like tape pushed into saturation.

What are the criteria for moving boats to the East side? We had a day last week that the port was closed after we left on the Felicity. I was hoping that I would get to dive the East side the next day but no luck. Norther did the hit and run. Still had amazing dives nevertheless.

By the way, the Northern sites are a homerun! Ewww, sorry about the baseball reference! Maybe next year...

Jay

Dear Jayfarmlaw,

We can only preposition boats on the the eastside when we expect long duration Nortes and port closures. It is an incredible amount of work for us and an expected one day norte is not worth it no matter how much we want to provide service to our divers.

Later on this year, when we have many divers who will miss a lot of diving because of notes…you bet, we'll be over there. I don't know if you have been over there but many think its the best of Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldores

I don't know if you have been over there but many think its the best of Cozumel.
Just keep teasing me Dave...I guess I deserved that for the baseball reference. Not many people hope for Nortes while in Cozumel, but I do. We have dove all over the Caribbean but we only come back to Cozumel and Aldora for a reason. One day I'll get to the East side even if we just have to charter the Felicity, kidnap Jorge and Gato, and buy some diesel.

Hmmmmmm that's an idea, I know you do the sleeping shark adventure dives, and now open up the North side, but would you ever put together a 3 dive East side dive package?

Thanks for what you and all the Aldora staff do.

Jay

I wonder how long before most adults of diving age no longer really understand the phrase "like a broken record"?
Well Records out sold CD's last year. Record presses are opening up across the country to meet the demand for records. But they are all being made with 180g vinyl, they are kinda hard to break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom