Something's not right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
done any open water dives in caves lately, dweeb?

No, but I know those who have. I have in wrecks and overheads, and with decompression.

I cited the standards, what have you cited?

Nothing. Uh huh.

The term open water is defined by the agencies.
Show me another source, Andy.

sigh

please read my posts before replying? i pointed out that for training purposes
you are correct, in post 41.

however, the question was about diving in a quarry
where he did not go into overhead, and he was wondering
if this was open water diving.

(the answer is yes, btw)

dweeb, the definition you are using doesn't make sense
outside of training. that would mean that a cave dive,
a wreck dive, and a deco dive would all be "open water" dives,
and that a holder of an "open water" c-card would be
qualified to make those dives.

please stop and think before arguing a position.

i've wasted enough time on this, so i'm going to move on.

miketsp:
They're qualified. The decision is theirs.

I disagree. They are not "qualified". They are "certified", and as OW they are certified to 60' (especially on their first dive). On the last part, unless the dive operator intervenes, it is their decision, yes. Not necessarily a good one, but theirs.
I have turned down several trips and outings that I have been specifically asked to go on by my DS, because they were in the 80-90 foot range. Assurances of, "We won't let anything happen to you", did not make me feel any safer. That just gave me the feeling of a "Trust me dive".

Joe

So you guys trust your instructors to take you to 60 ft, but beyond that you have no faith in them? Why did you let them take you to 60 ft if you don't trust them?

bubble blower:
So you guys trust your instructors to take you to 60 ft, but beyond that you have no faith in them? Why did you let them take you to 60 ft if you don't trust them?

It's not the instructors job to "take" you anyplace. The instructors job is to teach you how and then supervise while you gain experience doing it.

You're qualified to do what you've done before (+ or - within reason and many divers don't go any where near 60 ft during entry level training with many barely making it off of a sandy spot or training platform in 20 ft of water.

As I see it, it's a BIG stretch to say that a new OW diver is qualified to go to 60 ft. It's a big jump from kneeling at 20 ft clearing a mask to going to 60 ft on a real dive.

If you are a certified diver, why would you follow a DM somewhere you wouldn't go with just your buddy? You are either confident of your skills in a particular situation or you aren't. A DM present doesn't mitigate your need for safety.

If I don't feel competent to make the dive, I don't go. It wouldn't matter if the Archangel Michael were leading the dive. I have turned down dive opportunities because I haven't felt up to the implied or explicit standard that would have been required.

I'm twice as conservative now that my wife is diving and my buddy.

Why 60 feet anyway? It's just an arbritrary made-up number. They certified my wife and I to 60' without ever taking us there, so how did they know we were good to 60' when they gave us our cards? Don't get too hung up on the 60' thing.

-Tiny-B.

To add to my point, I use a DM as a guide, to show me neat stuff, and to possibly help me or my wife with our equipment should the other one be occupied.

I never see a DM as a safety device. I learned long ago that no one is more responsible for your safety than you are.

Tiny Bubbles:
Why 60 feet anyway? It's just an arbritrary made-up number. They certified my wife and I to 60' without ever taking us there, so how did they know we were good to 60' when they gave us our cards? Don't get too hung up on the 60' thing.

-Tiny-B.
the 60 ft thing is to stop the folk whos experiance is a 20 ft dive in sheltered controled conditions thinking that a 100 ft wreck is going to be easy, the depth is not the issue but the fact that the biggest majority feel O/W is the end of teaching and they need no further training as the DM will save them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom