Something's not right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dweeb:
Open water is anyplace that doesn't qualify as confined water. Confined water is defined as a pool or someplace that approximates the physical conditions of a pool.

so just because a cave is not a pool, a cave is considered
an open water dive?

see my previous post re/ this

your definition makes sense for DIVE TRAINING, but we
were discussing post-c-card diving. do read posts before
commenting on them...

dweeb:
"Today's consumer wants instant gratification, and we deliver it."

-PADI marketing director.
UMM lets see that is true of the books videos and educational materials people like them, PADI is an educational suplier of books and such I have to teach the class, stop the guys from doing the silly things.
Padi sells me a nice product, best there is at the level I want you have taken the words and turned them to what you want, me I agree with the guy it is customer but I teach the class

Mona, please don't pay any attention to Dweeb. His point is to berate people
rather than try to help.

You went below 60 feet with an instructor. Well done. Most people won't even
bother to do that

Coogeeman,

You'll freak on this one....
My very first ocean/boat dive was to 90 feet in the Bahamas.
Wow!!!
I was sure to tell the dive guide that this would be my first dive...

1. from a boat
2. in the ocean
3. 1 year after my open water (quarry) dives the summer before!!!!!

The response I got was...

"you'll be fine mon"

I wasn't sure about our max depth, but I found out quick....
no sooner did I find myself at 90 feet deep!!!!!
I was comfortable and calm, other than the fact that my assigned buddy was off wondering the reef on his own. I decided to get a little closer to the guide for the rest of the dive.

The dive went fine due to the good visibility, lack of current and, I must say, what I felt was excellent training I received through NASDS.

I recently hung out with my son during his scuba certification this year through PADI, and I feel that I had much better training through NASDS.
So, I definately feel the proper training has a lot to do with it.

I saw your post and thought you might get a kick out of my story.

Bill

H2Andy:
actually, dweeb, i don't know any agency who calls a cave dive an "open water" dive.
nor a wreck dive has ever been defined as an "open water dive"
and gee... i don't know of any decompression dive that is considered open water.
when you get your Open Water c-card, you are certified to dive in open water
(i.e. no overhead and no deco) and no more.
H2Andy:
The certification limits do not define the term "open water"
The term serves to differentiate from confined water, per PADI and RSTC standards, NOT from overhead or decompression situations. Most continuuing ed course curricula, including wreck and deep, call for open water dives, in addition to or as opposed to confined water dives.

An open water dive certification implies the ability to dive in open water, as opposed to confined water. The certification title inclusively states the upward increment in ability, rather than exclusively stating the downward limitation. An wreck diver may also be a cave diver. A certification states what one IS qualified for, not what one is not qualified for. A night diving card says one is qualified to dive at night - it doesn't say they are not qualified to dive wrecks. The cert name states the INCREMENT to be conferred above the qualifications of prerequisite levels.

H2Andy:
get a life

This is not a matter of getting a life, Andy. Someone asked an objective question, and you gave a wrong answer.
You completely and utterly misstated the meaning of the term "open water" as long established by the agencies and the industry. The definition is in black and white in the PADI standards and RSTC standards.

RSTC standards define confined water as "Any body of water that offers conditions similar to those of a swimming pool."
and distinguishes open water as being other than confined water.

The RSTC standards also allow OW certified divers in overhead environments, and only exclude divers who have not yet completed open water certification from overhead environments.

Quite simply, you gave a wrong answer, to a question you apparently are not qualified to answer, and thus potentially led a beginner to an erroneous understanding.
Perhaps I should not have suggested consulting your OW text; the answer may not be in there, but that doesn't mitigate the need to correct the faulty information you offered, and you've demonstrated before that you won't melt if I state it plainly without any syrup, so get over it. I've been corrected here, and I didn't resort to whining admonitions to "get a life."

Hey dweeb, you may not have been notified, but you are not the dive police.

H2Andy:
Mona, please don't pay any attention to Dweeb. His point is to berate people
rather than try to help.

You went below 60 feet with an instructor. Well done. Most people won't even
bother to do that

My point is not to berate people, but to promote competent diving. Your point seems to be to make people feel good even if it means encouraging "trust me" dives. The mere fact that people make more egregious mistakes doesn't make it wise.

dweeb:
Quite simply, you gave a wrong answer, to a question

ah... no, you did.

done any open water dives in caves lately, dweeb?

:eyebrow:

the problem is that you are working with an incomplete
definition, that's all. you're not wrong, but i neither
am i. the difference is, i never said you were wrong,
while you could not wait to tell me i was.

bubble blower:
Hey dweeb, you may not have been notified, but you are not the dive police.

Please demonstrate where I implied that I was. Be sure to use sound logic to support your assertion.

I corrected Andy, who gave an incorrect answer. Now he will attempt to insult me with everything I say.

I pointed out the folly of doing "trust me" dives. Please, point out where I jumped onto a boat and actually stopped anyone from doing anything. Oh, gee, you can't? Perhaps then, you should stop and think before making such statements.

dweeb:
I corrected Andy, who gave an incorrect answer. Now he will attempt to insult me with everything I say.

i feel like Alice through the looking glass. you are calling
a cave dive an open water dive, and i'm the one who's wrong?

wow... :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom