Solo diving on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have your own accomodations, rent your own truck, don't need any boat dives, and just need tanks, there are other options.

It's Dive Friend's Bonaire. I rented a condo for my next trip and was going to get my dive package through them, but started getting @#$% about solo diving, and then they tried to sell me the solo diving course. They then told me the other operators on the island will be doing this as well. Needless to say, I booked my diving with another operator.

Pure bushwah. I just dove with DFB Nov/Dec. I always dive solo and they know it. This is a lousy way to slander a great op.

I never asked if it was shore or boat. From the condo I rented, it would have been an easy walk to their Yellow Submarine shop to grab a tank and hit The Cliff. I didn't want to take any chances, so I went with another operator.

Proof that this is nonsense. Yellow Sub is in downtown Kralendijk while Cliff is way out by Hamlet Oasis. I would love to see the person who can walk between those shops.

... I honestly got the impression that they didn't care what I actually did as long as they had a buddy listed on the dive roster.

As I recall we were also admonished not to go beyond a certain depth, time limited and follow the leader. Reminded why I shore dive Bonaire

Can't believe this was DFB. I have always dove with them, most recently Nov/Dec 2016, and never experienced what is being posted. They have never buddied people up - on a roster or for a dive.

Like I posted earlier... Us old folks that have been doing our thing on Bonaire will still be doing it.. But, A company can NOT say it's okay to dive over your ratings... If you can understand what I'm saying...

Jim....

Reactions: Kha
Can't believe this was DFB. I have always dove with them, most recently Nov/Dec 2016, and never experienced what is being posted. They have never buddied people up - on a roster or for a dive.

Yep. I keep a log so can even tell you the guides. I didn't push the solo since the other guy and I, as the only two unbuddied divers on the boat, had already had a conversation and I knew we were both experienced. I actually enjoyed that aspect of the dive since I have done very few buddy dives that wasn't Eric. In fact I started a thread about my positive instabuddy experience.

Last edited:
@LiteWeight shared his email exchange with Dive Friends with me by email. I would imagine he would do the same with you if you asked, and perhaps apologized for your earlier statement :)

Never ask a question that you know the answer to... Never ask someone to say or put in writing something that may come back and bite them in the a$$...

Jim...

I would bet a lot of the ops on Bonaire could dig up a non-solo diving policy if asked (i.e. backed into a corner). If I'm diving solo, I try not to beat them about the face and head with it. I usually take a buddy for orientation, but if I am alone, they supervise my weight check. I did have one of the shop folks suit up and go for a shore dive with me, but they knew me and I think they just wanted to get out of the shop.:) My personal experience (N=1) with DF is they are far more concerned about how much fun I'm having and if there is anything else they can do to make my life easier than they are about my "safe" diving practices. I come to Bonaire for "dive freedom" so I respect that attitude. On the ground, I have never had DF question how, who with, or where I dive. YMMV. (Sorry, after reading this I don't mean to be a fanboy :dork2:)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom