Solo diving on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My suspicion was that it was Divefriends. I sent them an email earlier this morning to confirm and I am waiting for a reply. I would like to hear from the two posters that they were referring to Divefriends. I could not find any info on their website regarding such a policy or solo waiver. I personally don't have a big problem with the policy but I am solo certified so it does not affect me. I understand how others would want to know beforehand and have the option to chose a dive op that does not have such a policy. I agree that the policy should be on the ops website.

I did a little quick Googling; Friendly staff, but poor store policies - Review of Dive Friends Bonaire, Kralendijk, Bonaire - TripAdvisor to a Trip Advisor review on Dive Friends Bonaire from Dec. where member celadeira said "They lied and stated that the law in Bonaire does not allow divers to dive solo, unless they take a Padi dive course (2.5 days) costing $ 185 dollars. The hotel manager where I stayed dives in Bonaire solo all the time without problems."

So, there's another person (I assume) claiming Dive Friends is pushing against soloing.

It would be nice if Dive Friends Bonaire would post here and give us some sort of official statement.

Richard.

From their website:
upload_2017-2-7_14-4-11.png

Some of their instructors are affiliated with SDI as well as PADI, perhaps they offer Solo Diver also, it's not listed

Would still like to know if this is boat only or includes shore. Like many of the other posters, I'm also solo certified

Last edited:
I wonder if this is driven by somebody's insurance provider?

Would that be the same insurance provider that requres a visual inspection on all tanks annually or every 200 dives?

Scubadada,

I never asked if it was shore or boat. From the condo I rented, it would have been an easy walk to their Yellow Submarine shop to grab a tank and hit The Cliff. I didn't want to take any chances, so I went with another operator.

From our email correspondence:
"Please note, if you would like to do solo shore diving, you will need to be a certified self-reliant diver (which is a course that we offer for divers with 100+ logged dives and Rescue level)."

If anyone would like any more info about that email correspondence, feel free to PM me.

As a practical matter, how would DFB or any other dive op know a diver intended to dive solo unless the diver told them? If they were to ask, you could tell them your buddies are staying at XYZ and diving with another operator. I know a guy who owns a vacation home on Bonaire and often gets his tanks from DFB. He dives with various people and seems to adhere to the buddy system, but nothing stops him from diving without a buddy.

Scubadada,

I never asked if it was shore or boat. From the condo I rented, it would have been an easy walk to their Yellow Submarine shop to grab a tank and hit The Cliff. I didn't want to take any chances, so I went with another operator.

From our email correspondence:
"Please note, if you would like to do solo shore diving, you will need to be a certified self-reliant diver (which is a course that we offer for divers with 100+ logged dives and Rescue level)."

If anyone would like any more info about that email correspondence, feel free to PM me.

That's strange, PADI self-reliant diver (or SDI solo diver) requires only AOW and 100 dives. The Rescue level certification is their own extra twist. This would not stop me as I have PADI Rescue and SDI Solo. It very well might others decide to dive with another operation. It will be interesting to see if the solo cert requirement becomes more widespread on the island for some reason (the Cayman Islands Tourism Associaiton, CITA, comes to mind). The requirement for Rescue cert bothers me

In a way I regard every dive as a solo dive as far as my personal safety is concerned. Redundancy of critical equipment and preparation for self rescue should be part of every dive plan regardless of depth or purpose of the dive. I dove last year with a guy who guffawed at me just before I rolled off the boat saying- "why do you carry so much sh.t man"! I told him I carry only exactly what I need to stay alive. What he was talking about was my pony (a 13 cuft at the time), compass, line cutter and pocket containing a spare mask and an SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom