Solenoid user inspection and maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am preparing for a big trip and did a strip down of my ChOptima. The solenoid is a Clippard 2-way, normally-closed, Oxygen Clean Electronic Valve, 6V (O-ET-2-6).

I would appreciate if anybody could share how they inspect and maintain their solenoid.

[following]

Some fine tolerances in there? I'd be afraid to consider any disassembly. Does it need any lubricants though? Replace soft parts?

Corrosion-free? Little valve seat still good and free of debris?

I got a bit of seawater thru one of mine as a result of some O2 off drills at depth during training. I followed with a bit of fresh water and a ton of dry gas through it after the dive. Still seems ok now, 100s of hours later... Kinda like a regulator?

You could read the resistance annually and look for a drastic change. Also measure the current reqyired to operate is another method.

This is what we would do at work on important solenoids such as the brakes on dam spillways.

The link you sent from clippard looks like they will not sell to general public.
Get something similar would be a desperate measure..

Could always get diverite, to change it. And give specific instructions that you want the parts back.... (it is your part).
Then you have a spare.

The link you sent from clippard looks like they will not sell to general public.
I have not tried but I am sure I can find a way to buy a new Clippard O-ET-2-6 solenoid. The challenge is that Dive Rite adds the coaxial connector plus an epoxy insulation where you have the electrical connection to make it suitable for wet environment. It would take quite a bit of tinkering to rebuild that.

I got a bit of seawater thru one of mine as a result of some O2 off drills at depth during training. I followed with a bit of fresh water and a ton of dry gas through it after the dive. Still seems ok now, 100s of hours later... Kinda like a regulator?
They are not at all like a regulator which is mostly made of brass and what isn't brass is stainless steel...

Solenoids, requiring magnetic bits, are mostly carbon steel.

I am preparing for a big trip and did a strip down of my ChOptima. The solenoid is a Clippard 2-way, normally-closed, Oxygen Clean Electronic Valve, 6V (O-ET-2-6).

I would appreciate if anybody could share how they inspect and maintain their solenoid.
Send it to Diverite for service if its "iffy" or dive it until it breaks.

They are not at all like a regulator which is mostly made of brass and what isn't brass is stainless steel...
Solenoids, requiring magnetic bits, are mostly carbon steel.
You are probably right, although I am pretty sure my one is part stainless, or at least described as "corrosion resistant." Hasn't rusted yet... 🤞🏼

Carbon steel in an 02 valve???
From what I understand there better not be.
You can get magnetic SS.

Can anyone explain what an electronic solenoid is? VS a normal electric solenoid? Or is it all high tech wording.?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom