Sofnolime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heads up. This is medical grade sofnolime, not diving grade, it's clearly marked in the photo. Medical grade expects a longer dwell time and lower ventilation rate than the typical swimming diver produces in order to work correctly.

This thread covers the details. Info - PSA - Rebreather CO2 Absorbent

Indeed... this is a medical grade sofnolime. I didn't know this to be a problem. If you need/want a refund, you already have the email of the guy who gets the money. It's not me. I was merely trying to help the son of a friend who passed away.

Indeed... this is a medical grade sofnolime. I didn't know this to be a problem. If you need/want a refund, you already have the email of the guy who gets the money. It's not me. I was merely trying to help the son of a friend who passed away.
Let no good deed go unpunished

To be clear, my reason for pointing it out is simply for the matter of safety. This stuff shouldn't be used on a 100m dive, but it may be ok for a 10m leisurely swim.

To be clear, my reason for pointing it out is simply for the matter of safety. This stuff shouldn't be used on a 100m dive, but it may be ok for a 10m leisurely swim.
Are you sure about this? I bought a bunch of Sofnolime last summer and it just says 797 and 1.0-2.5mm on the kegs. It doesn't say diving grade or medical grade on the keg.
The kegs in the pictures are older. Is it maybe that MP just used to print 'medical' on all the 797 kegs?

"Diving grade Sofnolime absorbs carbon dioxide ensuring a breathable atmosphere is maintained. It is optimised for the removal of carbon dioxide from recirculated air/nitrox/heliox in rebreathers and saturation dive systems, commercial and leisure diving rebreathers, dive chamber/bell scrubbers/gas reclaim systems and dive gas conditioning units." -- source: Sofnolime 797 and CD Grade for Commercial & Leisure Diving - Molecular Products

"Sofnolime SoLo is a USP grade premium soda lime esentially free of sodium hydroxide used for the removal of carbon dioxide in low flow anesthesia breathing circuits. Eliminates potential for Compound A formation and carbon monoxide when used with volatile anaesthestics under clinical conditions." -- source: Sofnolime SoLo Medical USP Grade - Molecular Products

And of course the data sheets are on their website on the respective pages as well.

[ETA: Feel free to skip this it was originally entered in response to a sense of medical vs diving grade, labeling, and based on the original pictures in the add being (fully) represtative of the product being sold. Further updates show that most or a significant part of the sort was not consistent with the jug picture - and that is a very different issue. My apologies if I contributed to confusion. Leaving for reference unless some Mod chooses to delete (feel free).]

No dog in this fight, but this tempest has triggered my analytical side.

From the Molecular website (thanks for the links @kensuf ) and sub-linked data sheets:

Sofnolime 797 and CD Grade for Commercial & Leisure Diving - Molecular Products : "The 797 Grade has a smaller particle size (1.0mm to 2.5mm) and has a triangular cross-section, which combine to give a higher CO2 absorption capacity compared with CD Grade."
FWIW the picture they use on the 797 page shows "White to violet USP medical sodalime"
Molecular-Products-027-Twin-Pack-Sofnolime-WV-medical-box-open-1-e1489072588932.jpg

Seems to match the posted product and be a premium diving use.

For the only two white to violet "Snofolime" Healthcare-use versions listed, the sizes are:
Sofnolime 2550 medical USP Grade (white to violet indicating) - Molecular Products - "Between 2 and 5 mm % 78.0 Min"
Sofnolime SoLo Medical USP Grade - Molecular Products -"Particle Size 2.5-5.0mm"

For reference the originally posted pictures of the box label (from Sofnolime)
1678223192625-png.773244

and jug label (from Sofnolime)
1678369994593-png.773587

I ask you all to confirm what I laid out here and see if you all agree - especially before making any use of the product for diving ...

Maybe someone who is an actual purchaser would like to call Molecular's US office to confirm for themselves and report back:

Address​

Molecular Products Inc
633 CTC Boulevard
Louisville
Colorado
USA

Telephone​

(303) 666 4400 or 1-888-665-7763 toll free

Email​

salesusa@molprod.com

Might there just be be a teapot around here somewhere?

@kensuf
The product name of the scuba stuff is just '797 grade 1.0-2.5mm'. It doesn't say anything about diving on the kegs I have.
I think the 'medical' referes to the product family 'Sofnolime medical' and one of those products is the 797 scuba stuff. That's my guess.
Maybe @Dsix36 can send an email to MP and get a clarification.

The medical stuff that I have used in the past was a different brand and was the same size and shape as the diving grade. The stuff I just bought is much larger and not even close to the same shape. I have never seen any dive grade stuff that looks like this, regardless of brand.

MP is not willing to reply to questions in regards to medical grade when asked by a diver. They use a blanket statement that their products are only tested and approved for the uses in their MSDS and labels. They are covering their butts. 797 does not always mean it is diving grade as the current product in question is evident of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom