Trip Report Socorro Real Time Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just finished 2nd dive in Roca Partida. The waves is a higher than yesterday in Cabo Pearce. It’s a bit tricky to get on the skiff. However, once we were in the water, diving was incredibly calm, especially when we’re away from the rock. 100+ visibility. We saw huge yellow fin Tuna, Silvertip Sharks, Whitetip Sharks sleeping one next to the other, stacking like in a can of sardines, huge Spiny Lobster sharing the Balcony with the Whitetip Sharks, Hammerhead swam by checking us out, Galápagos Sharks, schooling Cotton-mouth jacks, Bigeye jacks. Water temperatures were between 75-78F.

67E9C4E7-A371-458A-B650-D377DEA9BA54.jpeg

Solmar V skipped the last dive. So we moved our 4th dive by an hour to 4:45p.

3rd dive was incredible. Besides the usual suspects, we saw schooling Yellowfin & Bonito Tunas.

On the last dive in Roca Partida, we saw several Silvertip Sharks, huge Yellowfin Tuna. Went back to the rock to take pictures of big-fat Spiny Lobsters.

At 7pm we were heading back to San Benedicto for our last day of diving in the Boiler in the morning & El Cañon in the afternoon since we missed it in the first day of diving.

I have to wonder what made that pop up out of the ocean floor.

Dan, I can't thank you enough for your posts. I look forward to them daily.

It’s part of underwater volcano. You can see the full volcano in San Benedicto. In my previous trip video in January 2021, there is a drone picture of San Benedicto by Brian Morgan.

The whole eastern Pacific coast, from Alaska all the way down to South America, around to the western Pacific, including New Zealand, Papua, Philippines, Japan are part of the Ring of Fire volcanoes. Most of those islands are the volcanoes popping up from the sea, like the Roca Partida.

Below is a drone photo of San Benedicto by Brian Forman. You can see the recent black lava fingers flowing to the sea from the last eruption on the right side of the volcano.
88E89E20-F04E-4471-A9DF-4FF6541D4CF7.jpeg

We will be diving in The Boiler, on the other side of the black lave fingers in the morning tomorrow and in El Cañon to the left of the black lace finger in the afternoon.

We sailed slowly through the night and arrived in The Boilers, San Benedicto and dropped anchor around 6:15am.

Same schedule like yesterday, i.e., Shark group will start 1st dive of Diving Day 5, at 8am, as Solmar V got here sooner than us.

Back
Top Bottom