Socorro Liveaboard Grounding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it’s standard procedure. On the Rocío passports are together in a dry bag which I was told comes in case of emergency… aka a ditch bag.
So fortunate everyone got off safely.
I suppose if you are going run aground on an island a 28 hrs passage from the coast, it is good luck for it to be the one island with a naval station and airstrip.

Is the Vortex not boardable? Shouldn't the ditching bag be recoverable?

I read a posting from Melissa about Dan Insurance not covering gear loss. If this boat doesn't sink - everyone should get their possessions returned?

I read a posting from Melissa about Dan Insurance not covering gear loss. If this boat doesn't sink - everyone should get their possessions returned?
If it doesn’t sink, why wouldn’t people be able to get their stuff back?

That boat is on a virtually deserted island, and probably a 30 hour tow back to the mainland. Anything salvageable or loose will probably be carted off by people working on the boat unfortunately.

Usually we learn from someone elses tragedy - medical problems in Mexico require payment now and things like this. What happens if the airline loses your bag?

We have an expensive hobby - omg this is a reminder to make sure you have some type of coverage...

Everyone is alive which is good, it's the nightmare they are going thru that I can't imagine.

Those are satcomms, she only appears to have one radar (which is normal for a boat her size, she isn't a warship).
Not that it matters too much, but if you look at other shots of her, you can see that she actually has three open array radars (one of which appears to be an S-Band).

Really though, the presence of additional nav tools is unlikely to be the problem here. Between even one radar and whatever chart plotting setup they have, they know where the island is.

I see someone has started a GFM for Marissa to replace her camera equipment and dive gear. I’m sorry she lost her stuff, but how can you not have enough insurance to cover the gear you use to make your living? The GFM said she lost $50K worth of equipment.

Reading the response on her post has me shaking my head. I am amazed how many people think that this dive operator will pay to replace all of the gear.
If you can't afford to replace it, you insure it. I do trip insurance sometimes, but it is a rarity. I don't have any of my dive gear covered as it is cheaper to replace than insure unless I lost everything at once. It is covered within my dwelling as a rider in case of a fire. Typically on a trip, I won't have more than $20k worth of gear with me. To cover everything everywhere would cost me in the range of $5k per year last I checked. I come out ahead by not insuring it and assuming the risk.

if the boat is aground and stable, recovering the passenger belongings should be doable. emperor did that when Fraser sunk near the dunraven.

I read a posting from Melissa about Dan Insurance not covering gear loss.
Uh, it was not a diving accident, so why should they? The boat operator should be liable, but good luck on that.
I see someone has started a GFM for Marissa to replace her camera equipment and dive gear. I’m sorry she lost her stuff, but how can you not have enough insurance to cover the gear you use to make your living? The GFM said she lost $50K worth of equipment.
It always looks better when you get someone else to start the GFM. I very rarely contribute to those. I've been tempted to donate $1 with a note about saving on insurance premiums, but I've never been so rude and hope I never do.
Typically on a trip, I won't have more than $20k worth of gear with me. To cover everything everywhere would cost me in the range of $5k per year last I checked. I come out ahead by not insuring it and assuming the risk.
Infamous last words. My primary reason for trip insurance and for nagging my kin anytime any of us leave the US is for medical coverage since our home coverage won't cover us outside the US and repatriation, but it wouldn't cover $20K. You may want to shop around more, or at least frame that claim as a possible reminder.

State Farm offers an excellent personal articles policy that would cover a lost dive camera for a tourist and much more, but it may not be enough for you. See Personal Articles Policy | State Farm®

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom