SoCal man who allegedly poached lobsters apparently drowned by own trap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
No he doesn't have to be sainted, but when both the guy's name and his surviving wife's name are splashed all over the web, especially in forums like this where everyone has to say their two cents worth, and probably without his wife's knowledge, making Darwin Awards comments where the victim is readily identifiable is not the most tasteful thing. The dude died in a fishing accident. In all probability, if he'd been half a mile away and it happened an hour later, he wouldn't have been breaking any laws (which was never proven anyway). So why rag on the guy?

Hope his wife never looks him up in Google, she'll see this thread in about a weeks time.
Actually he was several miles away from the outside of Santa Monica Bay, where he would have still been poaching by collecting lobsters commercially at night. The Fish and Game Department had been trying for years to catch him after many tips received by them. He was not, as some have pointed out just trying to put food on his family's table. Poaching has become a serious problem in California, so much so that the F&G has been considering total closures of large areas around the Channel Islands.
Commenting on his death is no different than when a diver dies and some on this board are quick to use that death as a platform for their anti-solo agendas.

Just remember, just because someone wrote it, doesn't make it true. DFG says their piece, we don't get to hear his side of the story. He's been supposedly doing this all this time, and they can't catch him? Huh.

We'll never know the whole truth.

Condolences to his family.

I know there is an old DDT dump site somewhere off of PV, but I'm not sure where exactly it is.

Make sure you know where your lobbies are poached from. That site is about a mile off of White's Point. Loads of DDT, courtesy of Montrose Chemicals...... One of the largest CERCLA superfund sites in the US, and we get to dive it!!!! Last I heard, plan was to try to cover the stuff up, don't know if it ever happened.

Chris

Its easy to say something stupid but it takes a wise person to know when to keep quiet. You're probably right about the restaurants though.

Zippsy:
Its easy to say something stupid but it takes a wise person to know when to keep quiet. You're probably right about the restaurants though.

Wise or coward fine line, have the courage of your convictions
I dont think the truth is stupid.

How about this one: Discretion is the better part of valor. That also seems to fit.

cdiver2:
Kelpmermaid are you so naive as to think the restaurant really cares where the lobster came from.

However, as a potential member of the food chain, I might...but there is no way to tell, I suppose, unless one catches dinner oneself. Bugs live like cockroaches, anyway...

what you mean divers are not the only one poaching from traps? someone should let the lobsterPEOPLE (gotta be pc) know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom