Local diver drowns - Pebble Beach, Hawai’i Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Hawai’i Island police are investigating a possible drowning that occurred in waters off of Pebble Beach at the bottom of the Kona Paradise Subdivision in Kona. Police have identified the victim as 62-year-old Mark Stanley of Kailua-Kona.

On Friday at 3:47 p.m., Kona Patrol officers, along with Hawai’i Fire Department personnel, responded to the beach for a report of a possible drowning. The victim had gone scuba diving with friends when they lost track of his whereabouts.

Stanley was found floating face down on the surface of the water. The victim was brought to shore by the friends that he was diving with, although he was not conscious and was not breathing. The friends immediately began cardio-pulmonary resuscitation on the victim and an officer on scene utilized an automated external defibrillator that announced no shock was advised.

Officers and bystanders continued cardio-pulmonary resuscitation on the victim until the Hawai’i Fire Department arrived and transported him to the Kona Community Hospital. Life-saving measures continued at the hospital, however, were unsuccessful. Stanley was pronounced dead at 7:01 p.m.

Police have initiated a coroner’s inquest investigation. No foul play is suspected and an autopsy has been ordered to determine the exact cause of death.

Police are asking anyone with any information regarding this incident to contact the Hawai’i Police Department’s non-emergency number at 808-935-3311 or lead investigator, Kona Patrol Officer Cal-Jason Hoopai at 808-326-4646, ext. 253.

Back
Top Bottom