SoCal man who allegedly poached lobsters apparently drowned by own trap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people make some really bad choices, it appears that he did not only something illegal but if you enjoy ocean wildlife he was destoying it. Would it be okay if I fished out all the areas that you dive or take all the lobsters? Come on, you have to make some judgements in your life, quit trying to be so political correct!

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Scubaroo:
Just a note on this thread - before anyone starts posting "this guy got what he deserved" or anything along similar lines, please take a moment before hitting "Post" and think how you would feel if you did a Google search one day on a deceased family member's name and found similar comments made by total strangers. Someone has lost their life in a tragic accident, and we should be sensitive to that.
Yep

Hey, the guy was breaking the law. And he died while doing it. Ok, that is sad for his family, but give me a break; does he have to be sainted?? I agree with the "politically correct" diagnosis on how some of us reply. In the world of post modern ethics, is there no such thing as "wrong" any more?

DandyDon:

No he doesn't have to be sainted, but when both the guy's name and his surviving wife's name are splashed all over the web, especially in forums like this where everyone has to say their two cents worth, and probably without his wife's knowledge, making Darwin Awards comments where the victim is readily identifiable is not the most tasteful thing. The dude died in a fishing accident. In all probability, if he'd been half a mile away and it happened an hour later, he wouldn't have been breaking any laws (which was never proven anyway). So why rag on the guy?

Hope his wife never looks him up in Google, she'll see this thread in about a weeks time.

Did you see his name? I didn't see his name. Did I mention it? I didn't think so. And who is ragging who? *shrug* I think my point was missed, any way, so it really doesn't matter. Onward to more uplifting topics, I hope, other than being an apologist for someone who supposedly was breaking the law.

"Mark Willey, 37" - second paragraph. His wife gets a mention in the fifth.

Yeah, this is just going in circles.

True, Roo, I think it is best to leave bad enough alone.

The local market/restaurant was named in another source, however, and it is a place where I have had an occasional meal. I prefer those clawed lobsters from the East Coast and am not sure that I would want to eat lobster caught that locally. I know there is an old DDT dump site somewhere off of PV, but I'm not sure where exactly it is. Does the restaurant necessarily know the source of the catch?

Scubaroo:
Just a note on this thread - before anyone starts posting "this guy got what he deserved" or anything along similar lines, please take a moment before hitting "Post" and think how you would feel if you did a Google search one day on a deceased family member's name and found similar comments made by total strangers. Someone has lost their life in a tragic accident, and we should be sensitive to that.
I'm glad someone is thinking.

A.M.D.G. M.F.O.

Scubaroo:

Well, I just did a Google search on the guy's name. I went 10 pages deep, the search returned at least 20 pages, and guess what I found. Three TV station web sites that mentioned this guy, a minister and a computer geek. The first page of the search was almost all of the computer geek.

Do you want this guy's wife to lie to people about how he died? The facts are that he was being investigated and he died fishing/trapping at night. The liberal PC mindset is nuts.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

MikeC:
The liberal PC mindset is nuts. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

There's no reaching some people...

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom