So Who Were You Trained Through???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally not certified back in the early 1960s and given the simple instruction of not to hold my breath. When I learned I had to be certified to get air fills when I moved to SoCal in 1969, I went with the Los Angeles County cert course which was intensive and thorough. Years later when I started doing international trips, most instructors were PADI and had no clue what the LAC cert entitled me to do. They required check out dives when I'd already been diving longer than they'd been alive. Finally an instructor in Cairns not only recognized my LAC c-card but called it a museum piece. He offered to get me a PADI AOW c-card which I did. Later did Rescue with PADI (even though the original LAC course included rescue skills) and finally Nitrox certification last year with PADI.

Certification Results.jpg

Ok so here are the results you guys have given me. I did not include any of my certifications or any of my students that I have certified over the years, simply because I already know what thier answers would have been. All data was collected from responses here on ScubaBoard, our Facebook page, and our YouTube Channel. This shows the total number of certifications based off of 5 categories. Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Specialty (including technical levels, both diving and non diving such as Gas Blender), Rescue, and Professional Levels (including Divemaster thru Instructor). The percentages are rounded up to the nearest decimal point. Also included is a color code showing the agency with the highest percentage. I know this is just a small portion based off who responded, and this is in no way an accurate survey of all divers, but just off the ones that responded, but I am shocked that NAUI leads in the professional level, and that SSI is higher in the Open Water Level. PADI of course takes the win in Advanced Open Water, Specialty, Rescue. Thank You again to all who participated and responded.

Turk
Live in Huntington Beach, CA and certified here.

OW- 2016 via PADI in
Nitrox- 2017 via PADI
AOW -Scubaboard
BP/W Specialty -Scubaboard :rofl3:

I am currently planning on doing my Advanced 35 through Instructor with RAID and crossing over to PADI.

Chicago area - DRIS - certified here

SDI OW & Nitrox last fall
In the midst of SDI Advanced (4 separate specialties)

Originally certified in 1968 through YMCA. AOW through instructor with PADI. Also training through GUE, IANTD, NSS-CDS and NAUI.

I was certified with PADI. I can't even imagine using another agency. PADI is the way the world learns to dive.

Ashley

PADI for OW, AOW, and Nitrox. Started in 1991.

Craig, Houston, TX
OW - SSI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom