So what's the consensus on...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadweeb

Reaction score
No! Nothing twisted or enormously interesting – sorry.

What do ye scuba diving/computer hacking folks think about international travel? My meaning of International in this thread is outside of the U.S.? We had planned on diving Cuba over Thanksgiving & Belize over Christmas. Heck, my Mum & me have been making plans to visit a couple of the Greek Isles for a month next May! Now I’m reading that U.S. citizens are being “encouraged” to travel around the U.S. and reconsider international travel. What are your thoughts?

Hi Scubadweeb

I don't really have a choice. I leave next Tue. to fly from Fla. back to Johnston Atoll to go to work. Over ten thousand miles round trip, Five times a year. Heck, that doesn't even count any dive trips (thinking about a Belize resort late spring).

Do you have any uncomfortable feelings about the trip?

I don't however, I'm wondering if I should?

Hi again Scubadweeb

No, not really. I don't spend too much time worrying about what might happen. When your time is up, it doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing, your time is up.

That always worked for me when I was working with explosives, chemical munitions and jumping out of
perfectly-good-airplanes.

Cuba? Are you an American Citizen? I'm sure that question alone is enough for it's own thread hey, girlfriend?
LoL
I leave to go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel in one week. We'll be diving with Casey Cayman by the way. I'm hearing this is the best time to fly from people that have already done it. I'm not worried at all.
:sunny:

Hey scubadweeb. You ever get to stop at Wake Island? I was stationed there some 30+ years ago and it is where I first learned to dive. Wondering if you have been able to dive there. Very interesting lagoon with lots and lots and lots of fish and beautiful corals.

This whole mess hasn't kept people from travelling to and from Guam. People are still flying, and while tourism from Asia was down for a few weeks, it is slowly picking back up.

I'm scheduled to go home (Maryland) in two weeks, and I'm a little more nervous than usual (especially from Houston to DC) but like someone said previously, life goes on.

I'm an optimist (can't happen to me) but also a realist (if something does happen..guess thats it). But, I'm not going to let those SOBs keep me from living my life or seeing my family!! If I start living in fear because of them...then they win..and in my personal war that is NOT going to happen.

I think it is safer to fly now than it ever was (at least, I keep telling myself that!) My personal opinion is that right now, the future is sooo uncertain. No one knows what is going to happen. So, live each day the way you want to live it..doing what you want to do. Go where you plan to go and doing what you want to do. No use in worrying about things you can't control. All that leads to is sleepless nights and lots of headaches.

ok..speech done. *hops off the soapbox*

This is what I have done.

ScubaBunny :bunny: did you "hop" off?

I folks Have traveled 4 times to China 3 times before and once after Sep 11th. What do I think of the security, when BUSH goes to Beijing he should get better ideas of how to have a state run airport security. Will I continue to travel YES and will I travel to dive in places like GUAM and Thailand and Texas near the diving MECCA, I have friends in Europe and dearly want to see them. It is sad that so many had to die before AMERICA could start to catch up with the rest of the world.

hiding under box

I have a client that went to Turkey September 16th. She just got back. She said things were very normal. She said there were no delays, and the people of Turkey were very happy to see Americans coming there.
One very interesting thing I have heard is this.
She and others have said the countries out of the USA are dying for American flags, Flag T shirts and American flag pins, to wear to show their support. She gave one women a pin she was wearing.
I went out and bought American Flag T shirts to bring to the islands next week. I'll give them out to anyone that shows interest in the one I'll be wearing. I understand the need for other countries to show their support in this matter. Freedom is a very precious thing to many people.
:sunny:

That is a good idea Natasha. Many people who do not live here really do envy and appreciate the freedoms that we Americans sometimes have taken for granted, at least until September 11th.

Scubadweeb, I can't comment on Cuba, but I can tell you that Belize is a country that is very friendly to westerners in general, and to the English and Americans in particular. They rely on us for tourism, and my experience with Belizians was that they are a very, very friendly people. It is a wonderful place to go and I don't think you would have any problems traveling there. I would go back there today if I could. The title of my dive trip report in the Central America section of the Scubaboard pretty much says it all..."My Trip Report(Belize is Paradise)"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom