So what's the consensus on...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks folks. I'm an avid traveler (I’m lucky enough to have dual citizenship USA/UK) and the thought of having to be afraid before heading over the pond (or anywhere else for that matter) just made my stomach turn!

Luvdiving-
um, eh, er…did you say you worked with explosives; chemical munitions AND jumped out of perfectly good airplanes? What the hell do you do for a living? (LOL) Sweetheart, it’s one thing to do one of those things, it’s entirely another to do them all! Me thinks you fear very little of anything, which is an admirable quality. I salute you (oh crazy one).

Natasha-
Have you read the diver Parodies thread lately? I used your name in the song for Fire Down Below…hope you liked it. Of course I’m an American Citizen, doll! I hear the diving over in Cuba is FABULOUS and I’ve always dreamed of seeing the city of Havana-what a history! I understand that the Cubans are very friendly toward the US (& our dollars). Heck, I’d love to see you in “action” over there! I have no doubt WEREVER you go, people love you! I’m envious of you & your trip to Grand Cayman…do you need someone to carry your bags?

What part of Turkey did your client go to? While in Ephesus, I found the Turkish people very nice however; while in Istanbul – it was pretty rough. I think perhaps it’s because I was wearing shorts, T-shirts & sandals. If I had been a little more cognizant of their culture, perhaps it would have been a more friendly experience. While in Morocco – I dressed more appropriately and found the people of Casablanca & Tangiers WONDERFUL. (They called me sister)!

Plongere-obviously I’m a geographydork as I don’t know where Wake Island is? Would you tell me more?

Scubabunny-Not only are you an optimist – you’re right! You’re absolutely right!

Fishkiller – (a.k.a. Brave heart) your trips to China were from the US? Once again, you’re right!

Zagnut- am heading over to the “Belize is Paradise thread right now” (Mentally) I’ll see ya there!

Wow a song with my name in it. I'll be over there next, to read it!
My client has been to Turkey several times. This time she stayed in Istanbul and took a cruise that started there and went around the Greek Islands. Nice uh?
I've been to Morocco too. Loved it and the people. While none of them called me sister, they tryed to sell my everything they had, and I wanted it all! You'll never believe this but I swear it's true. When I went(1992) I had on an American Flag pin, that a man in the market wanted. He traded me it, for a pair of earrings I wanted. Wild how things are probably the same there now, almost 10 years later.
Good to hear you're an avid traveler. When are we going to travel together?
And be careful in Cuba. I've heard many different stories about it there. I have heard the diving is good. I have heard the diving is about the same as the Bahamas or Keys. I have heard if you don't know Spanish it's not as easy to get around.
:sunny:

Originally posted by scubadweeb

Fishkiller – (a.k.a. Brave heart) your trips to China were from the US? Once again, you’re right!

Thank you,I'll have to quote you more often :D

Yes my trips went from LAX to Beijing or Shenyang I got to figure out the frequent flyer progam

And Yes the Chinese also were glad to see this American, I didn't have anyone ask for my flag though :/

I was in the Army for awhile, (20 yrs) and had a chance to work in Explosive Ordnance Disposal for awhile. Shortly before I retired, I was given the opportunity to fall out of airplanes.

Now in my retirement, I work overseas for eight weeks at a time doing chemical munitions demilitarization. It won't last forever but it helps me pay for my addictions (like diving).

Scubadweeb,

Last I heard US citizens were still not allowed to go to Cuba. Actually you can go there you just can't spend any money. I guess with your UK citizenship you are ok, but I am curious how are you going?

Tom

I believe Americans can do some offshore Cuba diving aboard a livaboard that originates out of somewhere else. Does that qualify as Cuba scuba diving?

Hey Scubadweeb, If you arre on Johnson Island look due north! Wake Island is about 2300 miles SSE of Hawaii. It is a small atoll 10' high, 400 yards wide and 7 miles in a circle (if I remember right). It was captured by the Japanese in WWII in December of 1941. It is also where Truman met McArthur during the Korean war. Prior to WWII is was primarily a sea plane base for Pan American but after the war it became a refueling stop, especially during the Vietnam war. When I was on Wake it was administered by the FAA. I understand the Army now runs the place. Don't know what it is used for today. It's claim to fame is that it is "Where America's day begins" as it is the first bit of American soil across the date line. Visit now is limited to contractors and military personnel I think. Heck of a place to spend a year. Topless beatuies behind every tree. And the closest tree was on Johnson Island a thousand miles or so to the south! However the island was very beautiful with a nice lagoon. Diving back then was an adventure, no BC's, J valve tanks, full face masks, a manually inflated horse collar, double hose reg that really had to suck and blow and "ahem" very firm instructors.

Would love to go back again for a visit (but not for another year). If you get a chance to stop there, I would give it a try. If you are military, I think there are tanks you can get to dive. If forget what the military recreation offfice is called, but I think you can get them there. Heck you would have an interesting entry in your log book!

Hi Plongere

Off the top of my head, I would have to say that Wake and even Midway have been vacated by the military. I do know that Midway has an Eco-tourism operation run by a private contractor. They do bird tours, diving etc.. They can only have 100 tourist on the island at a time. I read an article on the operation in one of the dive magazines so time back. I'm not sure of the cost for a weeks stay. As far as I know, Wake is still deserted. Probably a US FWS bird sanctuary of some sort.

Speaking of Johnston Island, I have to go back to work tomorrow :-(, so I won't have a chance to participate as much on the board. Oh well, It will give me something to look forward to in two months.

I would be a little worried right now to travel abroad. I will be going to St. Thomas at the end of the month and that is as far as I want to go right now.

It is a shame that some really ignorant people can cause so much disruption in our lives.

Terrorists should be strapped to rocks and dumped over the mariannas (sp) trench with a boyant camera, so when they rot at least the camera will break free and we could have our first glimpse of 15000 foot of water.

Those people that think what they are doing terrorism for God make me sick!

The terrorists sicken me too Syruss. And because of what they've done, and particularly because of what they hoped to achieve by it, I refuse to let them affect my decisions on how to live my life. They desire to scare us into not travelling, into staying home, into living in fear.
Well, I for one am not going to change my travel plans, and I encourage anyone who is thinking about travelling abroad from the U.S., to do so as soon as possible. If for no other reason, it will be good for the slumping economy. And heck, do you really need an excuse to go diving in a tropical location? :wink:
So my wife, my baby, and I are off to the Caymans in less than two weeks (yea!!), and I have zero apprehensions about safety.
And Syruss, brilliant idea about the terrorists and Marianas trench! You have my vote for the new Judicial position of "VP of Executions: Creativity"

Regards,

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom