So what is too overweight to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you're wittering on about.

I think anybody can do what ever they like if it doesn't effect somebody else.

I get to decide if I attempt to save them or not....if I don't think I can, I will cease when I think I might die too. It's simple, simple.

I think anybody can do what ever they like if it doesn't effect somebody else.

Im fine on that. However that generally isnt true for any type of diving accident. That usually involves rescuers, emergency services, possible helicopters, inquests with witnesses and lots of other things that take up a lot of other peoples time, effort and money.

almitywife:
I prefer the 'short for my weight' theory

(but being 6ft means i cant use that anymore!)

ditto!:D

Do you get the cartoon "South Park" Down under? You'd get why I said it!:wink:

Kim:
No they didn't.....he said he didn't understand how they go together - usually they don't....but it's not exclusive.

Who is stuffing anyone into a stereotype box? I think you are over-reacting to accusations that simply aren't there.
Actually, he said ...

Stephen Ash:
I don't get it...

... "fit" and "overweight" just don't go together.
Sounds like a pretty definitive statement to me.

Kim:
The thread title suggests no such thing......again, unless you intentional read that into it. I've already said several times that's NOT what it's about. As I am the one who made it I'd thank you to stop twisting the intent of the thread and ascribing motivations to me that don't exist
I'm not talking about your motivations ... I'm talking about your choice of words.

Had you asked "So what is too out of shape to dive?", I wouldn't have taken issue.

Kim:
The term "over" automatically suggests too much. A simple glance through most dictionaries will show that that is how most people understand the term.
It's also subjective ... based on a set of criteria. On what do you base your use of the term with respect to the weight of an individual? I think that's a fair question.

Kim:
There are a great many accidents world wide caused by heart attacks. Do you dispute this? A leading cause of heart attacks is being overweight coupled with age. Do you dispute this?
Nope ... but why stop there? There's quite a number of things that cause people to have heart attacks ... being overweight is just one of them. Didn't Jim Fixx die of a heart attack? Ironically, that was more than 15 years after he lost a lot of weight, stopped smoking, and started America's passion with running. Unfortunately, he failed to stop eating things that stuffed his arteries full of cholesterol.

Kim:
What is wrong with a simple discussion on the topic? Why do you come over as being personally attacked and affronted when I've said several times that it's not the case?
Perhaps because I'm tired of the fat people stereotypes.

Kim:
Do you know of ANY evidence that says that being overweight is somehow healthier or better for you as long as you exercise?
Nope ... I don't know of any evidence that it's a contraindication for diving either.

Kim:
Isn't it reasonably accepted that most people who are overweight would actually be quite a bit healthier if they lost some of it?
Again ... depends on your definition of overweight. I've seen some people worry about it too much ... to the detriment of their health.

Kim:
Isn't it self evident that if someone weighs too much to be hauled out of the water that some might consider that an issue?
Well, yeah ... on the other hand, I see that as more of an issue to be considered when choosing your buddy.

Kim:
No one is saying that ALL accidents are caused by weight/health issues......just that they easily CAN be.
Of course they can.

Kim:
No I'm sure it's not always the fat ones - but I'm equally sure that they aren't all paragons of fitness as you seem to be claiming!
Now who's reading things that aren't there?

Kim:
I'm thinking of investing in a heavier pair of chopsticks! :wink:
Now you're talking ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That usually involves rescuers, emergency services, possible helicopters, inquests with witnesses and lots of other things that take up a lot of other peoples time, effort and money.

String...they get paid for that, just like I did when I worked in a heli-copter.
that is the job they chose.....that's why you get the big bucks, for instance. Some people actually enjoy doing what they train for.

Who cares? They will be rescuing somebody...even if it's a guy dying of old age, sitting on his couch. Traffic is deadly. That doesn't mean people should stay home and not live their lives.

adurso:
If one cannot walk up a flight of stairs without being winded, they should not dive. "Overweight" relates to a current societal fad; standards of beauty have nothing whatsoever to do with strength or cardiovascular fitness. It is quite possible to be very strong, with a whole bunch of muscle under a layer of fat. Check out Olympic weightlifters, many appear to be obese, yet can clean and jerk, or bench press volkswagons.

The idea of judging fitness levels by adipose is silly. Society has created an artificial standard leading to bulimic and anorectic behavior.

A person who moves with difficulty, begins huffing and puffing and turning strange colors whille putting on a wetsuit, and then is out of breath and utterly winded after strapping on weights and BC, is someone who needs to rethink their participation in the sport.

For those who may not believe a "fat" person may be fit either check out Olympic weightlifters, or go to an aerobics class at a Y and watch the "fat" women kick butt...

Those who are worried about being overweight should look at fitness levels instead; measure your cardio activity, look at your strength, then determine where you feel comfortable weight wise
Now THERE'S the point ... diving ain't a beauty contest. But if you're fit enough to honk your gear up and down the beach without getting winded ... if you're fit enough to do that 10 or 12 minute surface swim without getting winded ... if you're fit enough to swim into a moderate current for a reasonable period of time ... then you're fit enough to dive ... regardless of your weight.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Buoyant1:
ditto!:D
Do you get the cartoon "South Park" Down under? You'd get why I said it!:wink:
yep but i remember having a tee with the saying about 30yrs ago... way before southpark (does that make me cool or just old :wink: )

to kinda get this back on topic... even after loosing what i have in weight i am still overweight and im sure people look at me and say i shouldnt be diving

but - my cholestrol is practically excellent, my working heart rate is in the healthy range and i can haul my big asssss and gear up and down hills better than the more healthier looking divers (ie, the thinnies)

i saw a diver on the weekend... a tiny woman of about 40yrs of age, didnt seem to smoke, not a gram of fat on her but she couldnt carry her own gear down or up from the site, needed extra assistance getting into the water and needed to be surfaced towed at both the beginning and the end of the dive

so what would you prefer... my fat asss diving with you or the fit looking chick?

Warning....images might be graphic to some users. I'll gladly take them down if requested. :)

"So what is too overweight to dive?" People who look like this---
obese.jpg

obese.jpg

Sparticle... theres no need for that! :whack:

(btw, i would never wear a bikini :wink: so does that mean i can still dive )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom