So what is too overweight to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By all standards I am obese. However, I am active, and I am strong. I am a Paramedic and have to be able to withstand long, critical situations, heavy lifting/carrying, etc. People don't think I weigh as much as I do. I guess I carry it well. Am I dieting... no... I am in the process of permanantly changing my eating habits... thus a better outcome than dieting. Am I working out? Yes. Am I still obese? Yes. Do I expect others to haul me out of the water if something happens to me? No, but I would hope that they give it a good shot. I am responsible for myself. I also like people to give me the benefit of the doubt when they look at me.

NWGratefulDiver:
No they didn't.....he said he didn't understand how they go together - usually they don't....but it's not exclusive.
NWGratefulDiver:
Perhaps it's because nobody likes to be stuffed into a stereotype box ...
Who is stuffing anyone into a stereotype box? I think you are over-reacting to accusations that simply aren't there.
NWGratefulDiver:
More accurate to say, perhaps, that there are heavy people who are more fit than some of their less heavy counterparts ... and yet it's the former who are always being told that they're unfit ... in this case, the thread title suggesting "unfit to dive".
The thread title suggests no such thing......again, unless you intentional read that into it. I've already said several times that's NOT what it's about. As I am the one who made it I'd thank you to stop twisting the intent of the thread and ascribing motivations to me that don't exist
NWGratefulDiver:
Something wrong ... compared to what?
The term "over" automatically suggests too much. A simple glance through most dictionaries will show that that is how most people understand the term.
NWGratefulDiver:
Well now ... it would be interesting to see some data on the correlation between being fat and being involved in a diving accident. FWIW - the none of the folks who died on scuba around here last year were fat. The two I knew the most about were rather thin, actually. One ran out of air and the other ran out of common sense.

Perhaps I'm not looking for it ... but I really haven't seen an inordinate amount of discussion in the Accidents forum about people dying on scuba because they were fat.
There are a great many accidents world wide caused by heart attacks. Do you dispute this? A leading cause of heart attacks is being overweight coupled with age. Do you dispute this? What is wrong with a simple discussion on the topic? Why do you come over as being personally attacked and affronted when I've said several times that it's not the case? Do you know of ANY evidence that says that being overweight is somehow healthier or better for you as long as you exercise? Isn't it reasonably accepted that most people who are overweight would actually be quite a bit healthier if they lost some of it? Isn't it self evident that if someone weighs too much to be hauled out of the water that some might consider that an issue?
No one is saying that ALL accidents are caused by weight/health issues......just that they easily CAN be.
NWGratefulDiver:
Well now ... we can agree on this much. Diving requires a modest amount of personal fitness. As an instructor, I can tell you that I regularly deal with people who have difficulties doing surface swims or carrying their gear ... I can also tell you it's not always the fat ones. In fact, I don't see the correlation in that respect that some of you apparently do.
No I'm sure it's not always the fat ones - but I'm equally sure that they aren't all paragons of fitness as you seem to be claiming!
NWGratefulDiver:
Then don't worry ... do something about it. I've found the stationary bike to be pretty effective ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm thinking of investing in a heavier pair of chopsticks! :wink:

so Kim... did you try to suit and have anything to report?

remember... we always need pics :wink:

Kim:
... However - divers aren't whales and if someone gets themselves into trouble they need to be rescued. This means exercising a little personal responsibility. To do that of course one needs to understand what is reasonable or not.
Back to the original post. If you are not a solo diver, then choose your dive buddy with this as one of the main points to consider. Otherwise, let's go diving.

almitywife:
so Kim... did you try to suit and have anything to report?

remember... we always need pics :wink:
Not yet Almi....too busy yesterday. Maybe I'll try tonight! :wink:

If one cannot walk up a flight of stairs without being winded, they should not dive. "Overweight" relates to a current societal fad; standards of beauty have nothing whatsoever to do with strength or cardiovascular fitness. It is quite possible to be very strong, with a whole bunch of muscle under a layer of fat. Check out Olympic weightlifters, many appear to be obese, yet can clean and jerk, or bench press volkswagons.

The idea of judging fitness levels by adipose is silly. Society has created an artificial standard leading to bulimic and anorectic behavior.

A person who moves with difficulty, begins huffing and puffing and turning strange colors whille putting on a wetsuit, and then is out of breath and utterly winded after strapping on weights and BC, is someone who needs to rethink their participation in the sport.

For those who may not believe a "fat" person may be fit either check out Olympic weightlifters, or go to an aerobics class at a Y and watch the "fat" women kick butt...

Those who are worried about being overweight should look at fitness levels instead; measure your cardio activity, look at your strength, then determine where you feel comfortable weight wise

Ignire the BMI scale - its absolutely meaningless in terms of fitness. Most doctors also say the same.
A fit athlete or sportsman will usually be classed as obese on the scale despite being superbly physically fit.
The formula takes no account of muscle vs fat level, bone density and doesnt even attempt to address physical fitness.

Aerobic fitness which is needed for diving can be measured. However you see a fair few fat slugs that get out of breath walking 1/2 mile on flat terrain and some that cant even carry their equipment 50 yards to a boat. These people by any measure are not FIT enough to dive. They're nothing but a risk to themselves and others.

H2Andy:
yeah... so long as you are fit to dive, i don't think weight is much of an issue

i have seen what some may call "fat" people (male and female) who are very good divers

i wonder if being overweight affects your air consumption?

I would have to say not really re: air consumption...

Lifetime dives number 15 & 16 in my log using an AL80 were at 40 fsw for 42 minutes, and at 49 fsw for 47 minutes respectively...I was WAY out of practice at the time (previous dive to that trip was about 4 months prior) I had gas left in my cylinder on both...skinny scrawney diver was the air hog...

Those that said the gas consumption would get better weren't lying..it's better!

I'm not fat, I'm big boned!

Sure they are...if they want to go.

...Mr.
Stop interfering where you have no right to be

If their partners are good to go...why should you care?

It's a free country. (this one) Oh...I forgot about people like you, String that could be traumatized if something happened. Maybe you can get Iran to pass a law against it, along with me covering my face, and not driving a car.

I have no idea what you're wittering on about.

If something happens to the people too unfit to be diving its normally a 3rd party that has to jump in and drag them out putting themselves at risk.

If the inevitable heart attack from unfit people affected absolutely nobody but themselves id have no problem with it. However from experience these people that need dragging out end up needing help from others.

Back
Top Bottom