So what do you do? - PADI QA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, I was left hanging because I have no option other than starting over. Sure, I can call my credit card and dispute it (very good idea, btw) but as far as my cert there are other details, that again I'd rather keep close for now, that would/could/should prove my finishing the course. I know, strange post because I won't give too many details.
BTW, I looked at the PADI website from a PM that I got, I do NOT see either the instructor or the LDS listed as having any disciplinary action taken against them. So, did PADI leave me hanging? Yes! And, if this instructor is free to do this again then I really feel bad for anyone who uses them. And, I know many who have taken courses from this location and one thing is consistent - corners ARE being taken and things like "I hope I never have to rescue someone because I didn't learn a thing" from a certified rescue diver who took it thru this shop keep coming to me. I made lots of friends in my local diving community and keep hearing the same things. And, seeing the PADI website with nothing on there this would reinforce this bad behavior... which disappoints me greatly.

Im sorry you have had such a rough go. I don't think PADI would hear complaints like you are making and then just do nothing. I would urge you to have your friends also contact PADI and complain. One or two people are sometimes ignored in a he said she said scenario, but multiple complaints will get their attention quickly.

As for your personal situation now, there are alot of people on the board who are LDS owners, instructors and whatnot, if you post some details they may be able to help you with a course of action, or at least tell you with an educated guess what you may or may not have coming to you and PADI's role in it.

As it stands now, your situation could be anything from you paid for a class that was cancelled with no refund or new date, or you could have had quality instruction and failed and are now seeking retribution since you weren't offered your money back. Either of those cases would bring a different response from the board...

BTW, I was left hanging because I have no option other than starting over. Sure, I can call my credit card and dispute it (very good idea, btw) but as far as my cert there are other details, that again I'd rather keep close for now, that would/could/should prove my finishing the course. I know, strange post because I won't give too many details.
BTW, I looked at the PADI website from a PM that I got, I do NOT see either the instructor or the LDS listed as having any disciplinary action taken against them. So, did PADI leave me hanging? Yes! And, if this instructor is free to do this again then I really feel bad for anyone who uses them. And, I know many who have taken courses from this location and one thing is consistent - corners ARE being taken and things like "I hope I never have to rescue someone because I didn't learn a thing" from a certified rescue diver who took it thru this shop keep coming to me. I made lots of friends in my local diving community and keep hearing the same things. And, seeing the PADI website with nothing on there this would reinforce this bad behavior... which disappoints me greatly.

Generally PADI can't (and shouldn't) take action based on a single complaint (unless there's death or injury involved). It would be too easy for someone with a grudge to ruin an instructor's career out of malice. However, my understanding is that PADI investigates complaints by contacting other students and sending them questionnaires to get a picture of the instructor's general behaviour - if you know other recent students of this instructor you might ask them if they've received this sort of enquiry.

If, on the other hand, you are the only unsatisfied student then there is probably little PADI can do for you; you would be best seeking refund via small claims court.

Without further information, like what exactly happened, and how far did you progress, it is impossible to suggest a course of action.

Basically, you need to work this out with the LDS. If that is not possible, you can either take another certification class, or file a dispute with the small claims court asking for your certification or refund, or both.

As you are unwilling to share details, it becomes impossible to determine what your next move should be. Why so secretive?

One of the courses of retaliation was from posts here on SB.
Was this the DM course in Colorado?

BTW, I looked at the PADI website from a PM that I got, I do NOT see either the instructor or the LDS listed as having any disciplinary action taken against them.
It may have not been posted because of actual dates –vs- publication or sites posting dates or they are still investigating by sending questionnaires to others who have taken the same type of class. Have another look when the next quarterly updates come out.
Maybe send a buddy into the LDS and ask about classes if you’re really that curious what the instructor is up to.

I hate to see anyone get the short end of the stick because of a bad instructor or LDS. It may simply come down to some type of civil legal action on your part.

Why not just post your side of the story here, and invite them to come and do the same?

Unless this was some kind of super special course, it couldn't have cost _that_ much in the scheme of scuba related costs. I would be inclined to try and resolve things somehows in person, making sure to be reasonable, even if you don't think anything will come of it. If nothing comes from that, post the story and let the cards fall where they may. I would forget the money and consider it a cheap lesson about who to avoid in the future.

I wouldn't let the whole thing drag you down. Life's too short.....and all that philosophical stuff.....

I was threatened with "attorneys who purchase equipment/trips at discounted rates".

I have no idea what this means.

My intent is to find out if there is another avenue that I can get my cert without totally spending hundreds of dollars, yes hundreds so that might give you an inkling why it is a big deal, and starting over..
Assuming you learned the material and did the pool sessions, you should be able to work out a deal with another shop (different agency) to take the written test and do the checkout dives. It will cost something, but not as much as a complete OW course.

You'll probably need to re-learn some material, since some items are different between PADI and the other agencies (for example, I beleive PADI still teaches a 60'/minute ascent, while SSI teaches 30'/minute). also, the tables are slightly different.

Terry

This thread is a waste of everybody's time without the details. But for some reason I felt compelled to reply. Work it out with the LDS owner and instructor or sue, if you are in the right then all should get worked out.

While I think it's a very good idea to contact PADI with complaints about quality assurance, I'm not sure that they are the one's you should be looking to as far as making you whole again is concerned. I would take that up with the shop you gave the money to, after all, it was them that you paid, not PADI, and it is them that in your account that have failed to uphold their end of the bargain, not PADI.
As far as a remedy, if it were me, I'd take the advice that's already been offered and post the details of my side of the story, then invite the shop in question to respond here on ScubaBoard. It's free, and no shop wants bad publicity. I've seen many instances on this board of the shop making it right after some problem with their personnel has been brought to life. I've also seen posters educated when they have been the party at fault, but ultimately it seems to me that things get worked out pretty fairly around here.

As others have said without specifics its impossible to work out whats gone on or who to believe.

There are 2 reasons for not getting a certification (i) The student failed to complete all the skills demanded of the course to the instructions satisfaction or (ii) hasnt paid.

Again as said above without details nobody can even advise so if you want constructive help you really do need to give more details but the dispute is between you and the dive centre NOT padi. PADI can only investigate whether the instructor followed standards and act on that. They cannot investigate for other businesses practices and so on.

Its fairly common from a Q/A to work out who the student is. If a student stands out as problems or trouble or you dont teach that many its not going to take a genius to work out who reported. However if anything unprofessional is said by him to you keep a record of it all and report that to padi.

Again acting one one complaint usually means questionnaires to other students of that instructor to work out if its a one off, a more systematic problem or even the possibility of a grudge against that instructor - all are fairly common. It takes time for students to return these and half the time they dont bother either.

Only after that can they work if there is a problem and if so how serious and which of the many forms of action that could take.

You wont get a quick fix - it could take months.

Not disclosing the result is common in most businesses - you dont get companies splashing the results of internal disciplinary actions to random outsiders for example. If it is a serious problem then it'll be published so other members can see it but even that is technically internal so padi are far from alone in this policy.

Back
Top Bottom