So what do post counts mean these days?

What do you think of post counts?

• They are just for fun and mean little else.

Votes: 60 69.8%
  • They are misleading and that's a pity.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I wish we could get rid of them.

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • I wish Non diving related posts didn't count.

Votes: 15 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey look, I have another post added to my count! :D

TSandM:
I've heard it said that, if your post count is higher than your number of dives, that indicates a problem. In which case, I'm in trouble. No matter how hard I try, I can't dive as many times a day as I can post.

I am curious about who said that. That's is a stupid remark as an experienced diver because he/she totally ignore the learning process. I am wondering how many logs the average rec divers make each year?, maybe 50 logs. It is a darn good number of logs as a rec. diver.... So, they are only enough 50 posts per year?

pipedope:
I might be interesting to have a post quality index but I don't know any easy way to make something like that work.

Sorry, there is no easy answer but that socializing thing seems to help some. You don't actually have to socialize but can simply read a bunch of things written by the person you are trying to learn about. Then make your own evaluation.

Actually, there is way to evaluate the post. It has been already done in other cyber community. The reader can rate/vote each post as a point.

I am not sure if it is an important function though. It sounds like it is very attractive to some moderators who want to show up their knowledges in public. LOL~~~

When you have, oh....332 or 333 posts or so, it means you have infinite wisdom concerning all matters aquatic. Seriously, it doesn't mean much....some people post very often, others have been around forever and the posts just accumulate. I don't even look at the number of posts someone has made, unless it's pointed out.

scubafool:
Compared to the tenure of the member, they might mean that I,oops, I mean the member, spends too much time on Scubaboard.
@scubafool: for what it's worth i have spent too much more time on SB hahahahahaha (check out the member since vs. post count)

on topic though: who cares right? it is nice to see though the type of participation a member makes... but it means little in the greater scheme of things...

Jag

Kayla:
I think it would be great to oget rid of them completley. Then we might have to *God Forbid!* actullay get to know the people that were taking advice from, therefore forcing us to actullay "socalize" and learn all the true facts. Just my opinion, but I would love to see it happen!!! :) :)

K

I couldn't agree more.

Like many others, I used to pay attention to post count when I first joined. I thought those with the most posts were the more highly regarded. Then I learned about greeters. Not to say they're not highly regarded, just that most of their posts consist of "Welcome to ScubaBoard!" Then I saw the Word Game thread. Recently it's been the mask on forehead thread, which BTW was diving related, so do those posts count?!?!? Now I hardly pay attention to them. Occasionally, I will notice someone who has been a member since 2002 and only has 50-some posts come on the board. My guess is that person reads a lot of the threads, but only contributes occasionally. That's okay though. It's a way to learn. I'm a member of another board where I simply read threads of interest and post very rarely. Same thing happened on this board when I first joined. I had to learn the people here.

BTW, is this a dive-related thread. Do these posts count? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom