So what do post counts mean these days?

What do you think of post counts?

• They are just for fun and mean little else.

Votes: 60 69.8%
  • They are misleading and that's a pity.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I wish we could get rid of them.

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • I wish Non diving related posts didn't count.

Votes: 15 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
I'd much rather be diving than posting, but if I'm not diving, and I have time to sit around and think about diving, then I think I'd rather be posting, so hopefully all of the posting makes me forget that I wish I was diving.
What he said...

...i think...

Posts in this section (Non-dive related) shouldn't count. And rambling threads that get hijacked all over the place should have a section in non-dive related. It would be nice if you could separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were, (i.e., Mask on Forehead/No Mask on Forehead), but that's asking a lot of the mods.

I also think there should be a LDS vs. Online forum, but that's just me. You could get a good 50 or so threads in there already.

When I first joined, the board was a pretty small community. It was not unlike "everybody knows everybody" - at least, virtually online. There were a relatively small group of members that posted on a regular basis and at that time there were a much smaller number of forums. Not so many non-dive related threads, no "official" greeters yet, no whine and cheese, not even a regional club section.

At least for me (as a newbie when I joined) the post count at that time did have some sort of meaning. Maybe not the most experienced diver, but an indicator of someone often willing to offer advice or help - and the threads were almost all dive related.

Over time there was a population explosion, the forums expanded and the community evolved. There's a lot more non-dive related stuff, banter, arguments, etc. - not that it's bad. But the post count is now just a count. As I pretty much post primarily in my local forum, my post count is small.

PhotoTJ:
Posts in this section (Non-dive related) shouldn't count. And rambling threads that get hijacked all over the place should have a section in non-dive related. It would be nice if you could separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were, (i.e., Mask on Forehead/No Mask on Forehead), but that's asking a lot of the mods.

I also think there should be a LDS vs. Online forum, but that's just me. You could get a good 50 or so threads in there already.

Really... Why should non-diving posts not count? Doesn't it just show that you are an active SB member? We are all divers, hanging out and having a good time... isn't that what really counts?

Hey Howard, 9 more posts and you're at 2000 :D

Post counts only show how active you are as a member...

dlndavid:
Hey Howard, 9 more posts and you're at 2000 :D

and 2 more dives, and I'm over 100 dives... Maybe I'll get a little respect like Rodney now. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom