So what do post counts mean these days?

What do you think of post counts?

• They are just for fun and mean little else.

Votes: 60 69.8%
  • They are misleading and that's a pity.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I wish we could get rid of them.

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • I wish Non diving related posts didn't count.

Votes: 15 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
If the post counts were gone, the folks who are curious about how active a member is can easily click the "Find More Posts by Xxxxxx" in the drop-down menu that appears when you click on someone's screen name. This also lets you know what sorts of threads the member tends to post to :wink:

Well, this is what I have done from the beginning when I have wanted to snoop on somebody. As a total board newbie I did not even really notice the count but I noticed the stars (for a moment I thought Junior Member referred to members who chose to display their young age... but I got a rude wakening when I realized I was marked as a Junior.)

I seem to tread with care with post counts that are extremely low and extremely high (no background check possible vs who the heck's going to browse through all that...) I was surprised in one previous thread to read the suggestion (accusation?) that people try to pump up their post count for some reason - it appeared to me very childish. Like really? We competing for a score? The opposite had occured to me. I myself shudder every time I see my count jump to >1 per day.

I didn't pick any of the options in your poll, since I find post counts to be accurate and useful just as they are.

I think post count is a simply a reflection of a member's participation level on Scubaboard, and it isn't intended to reflect diving knowledge, or anything about the quality or subject of their posts.

Post counts, I think, are just an indication of how active you are on this board. If I wanted to find how experienced a poster is, I usually just look up what thread he/she has started or contributed in and go from there. Reading some of the posts, you can pretty much determine whether that person is talking from experience or just talking BS.

I didn't read the whole thread so excuse me if I repeat something that has already been mentioned.

The number of posts you have on any board is an indication of your lack of a real life... ahem I mean your activity. However if you feel you might be bitten by Over Posting Syndrom (OPS) lucky for you there are a few simple rules that you can follow to insure only the finest high quality posts come from your login.

1. Stay on Topic - The greatest problem with over posting is the problem of staying on topic. Just throwing out unrelated phrases is annoying and distracting to the reader. Have some curtesy and try to keep it within the relm of the conversation. Refer to howarde, dindavid, os Scuba_Jenny's post history as an example

2. Quote the Original if possible - Becuase varied conversations cross hap hazzardly in a single thread be sure to quote the person you are responding to. It helps the reader and it makes the originator of the response all warm and fuzzy inside. Refer to Puffer_Fish posts as a prime example of this.

If you feel that you maybe posting in excess lucky for you there is help. Please post your concerns here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=118287 and be sure to voice your honest opinion about the stupidity of the whole post count number counting thing. I am sure you will be met by others like you that can not wait for OPS to be stamped out in our life time.

If you post something and some sorry... I mean a responsible SB Staff member deletes it... does that count count or is it retracted from your total?

It gets retracted from your total. (yes....I could change the scoring in the MOG thread! :D )

H2Andy:
i have PROOF (proof, i tell you) that a high post count indicates a ... winsome personality

Or whinesome

O2BBubbleFree:
Or whinesome

bah... envy of those with large post counts is not very becoming

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom