So Santa brought me a C-4040, now I've got some more questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This camera is awesome, I've been having all kinds of fun on dry land taking photos since 12/25. Now I am going to start looking for the underwater accessories to make this one rocking playtoy.

It looks like I'm gonna be contacting Alan to get a PT-010.

My questions are: a spare set of O-rings, should I go ahead and order them with the housing? How long does an o-ring for these camera cases keep?

The other thing I'd like to look for are the silica packs, would local camera stores have them, where should I look (I understand UWdigital has them but being the poor college student that I am at the moment, and having just sent A&M a nice check for $2600, I'm looking for the cheapest way to go here).

Thanks, looking forward to getting this thing (in its case) wet.

AD

Aggie Diver once bubbled...

My questions are: a spare set of O-rings, should I go ahead and order them with the housing? How long does an o-ring for these camera cases keep?

The other thing I'd like to look for are the silica packs, would local camera stores have them, where should I look (I understand UWdigital has them but being the poor college student that I am at the moment, and having just sent A&M a nice check for $2600, I'm looking for the cheapest way to go here).

Thanks, looking forward to getting this thing (in its case) wet.

AD

I wouldn't leave home without an extra O-ring. Without an O-ring you can't dive with your camera. Say your changing media cards or batteries between dives and for whatever reason your O-ring becomes "non-usable" (oops I broke it, gee what are these cracks, did anybody see where my O-ring went?). It's not like you can just get one anywhere. For the added few dollars, I would get one (and an extra tube of the silicon too!) The owners manual on my PT-015 says to change the O-ring once a year.

As far as the desicant packs....your local camera shop should have them. I'm not sure what Allan's prices are, but you can always call and compare.

Best of luck with your new rig. I know I've had nothing but fun since I got mine. :)

:confused:
Aggie Diver once bubbled...

Bacchus
Do you remove your O-ring when you get home from a dive trip?? I've been removing mine when I'm not going diving for another month and coil it up and make sure it's covered in grease. Seems to reduce the strain on the O-ring..

regards

Wally_lamma once bubbled...

Bacchus
Do you remove your O-ring when you get home from a dive trip?? I've been removing mine when I'm not going diving for another month and coil it up and make sure it's covered in grease. Seems to reduce the strain on the O-ring..

regards

Both of mine well greased and in a baggy (actually I've been accused of that myself). :D :D Careful to keep the dirt out of your O-rings and housing though.

Steve

Bacchus once bubbled...

Both of mine well greased and in a baggy (actually I've been accused of that myself). :D :D Careful to keep the dirt out of your O-rings and housing though.

Steve

Do the same thing. Also take my dessicant packs and place them in oven for approx 20 min with the heat about 100deg. Convection oven not traditional element. I guess that you could use blow dryer but it would take longer. When I'm done put them in ziploc with air pressed out. Here in AZ we don't have a big amount of moisture in the air so once they are cooked a ziploc is OK.

Before I go diving I take a Q-tip and run it thru the gasket groove to make sure its clean. Have seen salt crystals and sand in the groove. Even after clean/fresh water rinse..

Bacchus,

What would you recommend to clean out the o-ring channel in the housing, and also the o-ring, between dives and the like?

I would think with Q-tips there'd be a problem with the "fuzz" getting left behind.

Thanks for all insight.

AD

well you lucky devel , wish I had one so I could really move up into the digital world for nowI use my sealife film with strobe but some day move up in the real world !!!!!!!!!!!

Q-Tips are just a little ball of fibers stuck on the end of a stick! You don't want those fibers in the o-ring channel or anywhere near your o-ring. I use an old cotton flower sack towel and old T-shirts are good. Q-tips and terrycloth towels are the worst culprits and most often used!

Definitley get an extra o-ring. Like Bacchus says, if something happens to it on a trip, you can't just pick up an extra one. Unless I've had the housing down in or close to the sand, I only remove and clean the o-ring at night after a days diving. Don't be in a rush. This is the most important part of keep your camera gear in good working order. The majority of camera floods are results of bad/rushed o-ring maintenance.

I keep my housing o-ring well greased and coiled loosely in a ziplock bag.

Another thing to be careful of is fingerprints on the lens. The oils on your fingers can actually etch the covering of the lens. You don't need fancy lens cleaning solution and those lens papers some camera store sell you will actually scratch your lenses. For $5 pick up one of the lint free cloths and use it to wipe the lenses clean.

SORRY said (Q-tip) but but what I do use is a special foam applicator used in electronics. It does not have the fiberous content that a generic Q-tip has..

Please note the correction.

Wally_lamma once bubbled...
SORRY said (Q-tip) but but what I do use is a special foam applicator used in electronics. It does not have the fiberous content that a generic Q-tip has..

Please note the correction.

We need some new names for things! Those foam tips are great. Unfortunately the name Q-tips will send someone out for those fluffy things Mom used in our ears!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom