So Santa brought me a C-4040, now I've got some more questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee once bubbled...
Q-Tips are just a little ball of fibers stuck on the end of a stick! You don't want those fibers in the o-ring channel or anywhere near your o-ring. I use an old cotton flower sack towel and old T-shirts are good. Q-tips and terrycloth towels are the worst culprits and most often used!.........I keep my housing o-ring well greased and coiled loosely in a ziplock bag.

I use an old tee shirt to clean the channel. My o-rings are greased and in a ziplock. Olympus is very adamant about using the silicon that comes with their o-rings. Different kinds for different o-rings I guess. Something to do with the composition of the ring. So be sure that if you have several different tubes (one for your strobe o-ring and one for your housing) that you keep them marked for which they are for.

Its called a ChemSwab they come with isopropyl alcohol.

They are urethane foam swabs. Non-Abrasive. I believe they also offer them without the isopropyl alcohol.
Down side is 25 swabs 21.00USD

They also have a lint free non abrasive pad. Chempad (brand name) better price 50 for 17.00USD. They are the same form factor as a wet-nap.. Compatible with most plastics..

Hope this clarifies my poor choice of words earlier.

:bonk: :bonk:

They are proud of those things! I wonder if those little foam swabs sold for make-up would be suitable? You can get those at Wally world for just pennies a piece.

I think I'll stick to old T-shirts!

If I did not get them as part of my work, I'm not sure that I would purchase them. The Chempad sounds interesting might try a few and I'll let you know..

I have to agree Tee-shirt is more economical... And everybody has a tee-shirt that can be used for such a good cause..
My only concern about a TEE-shirt is you tend to reuse it, and therefore grind in the same junk you just removed.. Plus if you don't zip-lock it you pick up other dirt on the excess grease. You must be carefull in taking care if the cleaning rag.
So making small swatches and placing them in a zip-lock with your camera equipment is very important...And throwing a swatch every third or fourth dive is not a big deal..

cr

Wally_lamma once bubbled...
...So making small swatches and placing them in a zip-lock with your camera equipment is very important...And throwing a swatch every third or fourth dive is not a big deal..cr
That's what I do. I cut an old T-shirt into square or pieces of varying sizes. A whole sleeve is good to slip the housing into before storing.

Hi all,

Beside the big yellow O-ring, would you guys do something for the tiny ones (black in color) inside each of the push buttons such as greasing them . Since no one had mentioned about it and I believe they have limited life time too.

Regards
Edgar

Dee once bubbled...

I keep my housing o-ring well greased and coiled loosely in a ziplock bag.

Is that what Olympus recommends? Ikelite says "a very small amount of silicon...just enough to 'wet' the oring"

Or is that just how you store the o-ring?

The O-ring creates the seal, not the silicon. The silicon keeps the o-ring from drying.

raxafarian once bubbled...

Is that what Olympus recommends? Ikelite says "a very small amount of silicon...just enough to 'wet' the oring"

Or is that just how you store the o-ring?

The O-ring creates the seal, not the silicon. The silicon keeps the o-ring from drying.

"When the Case is not to be used for a long time, remove the O-ring from the groove to prevent deformation of the O-ring, apply a thin coat of silicon grease, and store it in a clean plastic bag or the like."

When I store an o-ring, I use more grease than I would for normal use, but not an excessive amount. "Well greased" just means making sure it is well covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom