So Santa brought me a C-4040, now I've got some more questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a combination of things

Old, well used (but clean!) T-Shirt for general purpose cleaning;

Makeup foam tips (cheap as chips) for the channels;

Lens cleaning tissue (I find I can cut a standard sheet into 4 pieces) to clean the o-ring itself.

The PT015 has 2 o-rings so both have to be removed and cleaned before a dive.

The Ikelite o-rings are 'dry' o-rings (like the ones you find in UW torches). Ikelite recommends that you just keep them clean (free of sand, dirt and fibre) and doesn't say that you shoud grease it either.

Greetings from a photography (at least real photography) newbie. My prior experience is mostly with the Aquashot models but I'm getting a serious itch for digital. After searching the web and looking through this board, I've just about settled on an Oly 4040 but I'm leaning toward putting out the extra bucks for the Ikelite housing. One thing I can say about Ikelite after dealing with them for several years with my Aquashots is I've found their service to be impecable. It also appears that housing allows for more and varied strobe options.

The original poster of this thread had asked about accessories for the 4040 and that is the main point of this inquiry. I am leaning toward the rechargeable batteries and a jumbo memory card. I was wondering if any of you think the $50 leather case is worthwhile and for those who have the Ikelite 6130.1, what kind of case do you use to transport it? Thanks for all replies.

Ronsch once bubbled...
...I am leaning toward the rechargeable batteries and a jumbo memory card. I was wondering if any of you think the $50 leather case is worthwhile and for those who have the Ikelite 6130.1, what kind of case do you use to transport it? Thanks for all replies.

What's the leather case for....batteries or memory or the housing? First thought is that it would be a waste of money to pay for leather anything comcerning cameras and water. I use plastic cases to hold each set (4) of rechargeable batteries. There's also a 'wallet' that holds 6-8 SM or CF cards that is very handy. I got my first one free with a SM card bought on eBay. You can find them there for less than $5.

Alot of folks use Pelican cases, or something similar, to transport housings in.

Yeah...looks like just a fancy topside carrying case. Looks kind of large to be worn as a fanny pack-type bag. Unless you're going to be carrying along extra topside lenses, strobes, etc. I don't see any reason for a bag that size. In fact, I put my C-4040 in one pants pocket and 1 set of charged batteries and extra SM card in the other when we are out taking pictures. You could always get a nice neckstrap for it.

As one who is a fanatic for bags and who has a whole closet full that never gets used because they were too big/small/heavy, stick to bags made of sturdy cordura-type material, get one the size you really need and know ahead of time how you need to use it. My favorite for all day excursions is a small backpack. I put my camera inside a flannel Crown Royal bag, and place it inside my backpack that has a towel folded in the bottom. I can keep up with a backpack easier than I can a carrying case that I'm liable to laydown and forget or that is easy for someone to pick up.

Just my 2¢

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom