So... Is the Roatan Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

image.jpeg
I have seen his Captain's logs on the Aggressor site, but no reviews here.

Can you post a link?

The only thing in SB is one report from 60 days ago.

What I am looking for specifically is the basic necessary data: actual dive sites visited day by day, each sailing so far.

Last edited:
We are heading down the week before Labor Day. Ill definitely do a write up when back!

Ill keep my eyes peeled for your Aggressor trip report too. Our Belize Aggressor trip was fantastic.

I will be on the October 14th sailing and will certainly post a trip report.

We just got back from two weeks at our condo in Brick Bay. On Wednesday and Thursday of both weeks, the Roatan Aggressor was moored near Mary's Place. We passed by them a few times while we were diving and noted that she was dispensing a lot of divers. Some were dropping directly from the ship while others were being shuttled to neighboring sites on small zodiac tenders. A few weeks ago, one of our DM friends encountered a group of 15-20 divers from the Aggressor making a frantic trek through the crack at Mary's Place. They seem to be filling the boat.

Looking forward to reading all these future trip reports, as my wife and I will be on the Thanksgiving week sailing. Heard from some dive buddies who just finished this trip that they really enjoyed it. Apparently not too much big stuff most dives, but lots of macro.

James

Saturday & Sunday they usually moor below our road. Ship is good looking especially at night, they keep the dive deck lit in a nice blue light.

They must adjust the schedule according to the forecast (I would hope so ) as tonight's they are moored below us.

My wife and I just returned from our Thanksgiving week trip on the Roatan Aggressor. It was a fantastic trip. Here are some highlights/comments for anyone interested in this trip:

- The boat is excellent. It was re-furbished earlier this year for the new itinerary, and it shows - very clean and well-maintained. We had 17 out of a max 18 passengers on our trip and we never once felt crowded. The dive deck is probably the best I've yet seen. It's enormous, giving everyone plenty of personal space to suit up. The camera table is probably 6' square with three levels, so no issues there. The only note we made to the crew was that the sundeck could use some more shade. They were already working on this, with a tarp system scheduled for install the next time the boat goes into dry dock.

- The crew were excellent across the board. Captain Eddie is certainly the most enthusiastic and energetic captain I've met, which we found contagious. I can see why others have spoken so highly of him on his past boats. I won't list everyone else by name, but certainly a special mention goes to Dorian, an actual French chef, whose food was terrific (apparently recently voted best of the Aggressor fleet).

- Our fellow passengers were a really great group of people, and we had a lot of fun talking with everyone between dives.

- We got really lucky with weather. Whereas we heard the previous week's trip was a rainy mess, we had mostly sunshine, with just a couple passing showers one or two days. It was a little windy towards the end of the week, which made toweling off after dives a bit chilly, but had no impact on the diving.

- We also got lucky with the diving. Apparently the week before us was pretty bad, with limited viz on both sides of Roatan. We had good to very good viz most dives (45 to 80+ feet), with just 2 or 3 dives with really bad viz (15 - 25'). We were able to dive the north side of Roatan, the south side of Roatan and Cayos Cochinos. The crew said they would take us to Utila if there was a whale shark sighting, but reports were that viz was poor, and therefore not worth the trip otherwise. No whale shark sightings, so we didn't make it over. Overall, I'd describe the diving as good to very good. We're a bit spoiled with some recent trips to various parts of the Pacific, but by Caribbean standards it was really solid diving. Good macro at most sites, with two seahorse and one pipefish sighting towards the end of the week (thanks to the keen eyes and site knowledge of Captain Eddie and G). We had turtles on several dives, and generally good fish life. A few of us placed it squarely in the middle of our Caribbean diving experiences, with Turks & Caicos, the Caymans and Belize rating higher.

- I do need to report experiencing one of my scariest dives ever. The green moray I had been photographing came out of it's hole and chased towards me. The crew had instructed us to put our fins between us and and the eel in this case, and I did that. But the eel didn't stop, so I swam as fast as I could in the opposite direction. The eel followed, even after I made two 90 degree turns - probably a total of 50+ feet underwater. Finally it stopped the chase and returned to it's hole. I've never seen morays this aggressive, and suspect that the lion fish feeding is emboldening them. We saw another free swimming on the same dive (maybe the same eel?) and it came right towards me and then by me, without any apparent need to stay close to the reef for protection. Probably a freak incident, but I'd think twice before getting too close to one in the future.

- We had a bottom temperature of 82 degrees on every dive except one at Cayos Cochinos, where I registered 81 degrees. While there were opportunities to go deep on some of the walls if desired, I didn't see anything worthwhile down there, so we generally had max depths in the 60-70' range, with lots of time spent in the 40 - 55 foot range near the top of the reef.

I think that's it - overall, a really enjoyable trip on a great boat, and one I'd recommend to anyone. Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

James

Thanks for posting your report!

What is the recent feedback for the Roatan Aggressor? I love AKR and Roatan. I would like to try a liveaboard and dive utila and the other areas. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom