So I talked to Uwatec today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I just got off the phone with Scuba Pro/Uwatec. and I am not all that happy with what I have been told by them. Because I only spent $600 on a dive computer they don't have an upgrade for me. The only option they gave me is send in my smart pro wrist and they would send me a pro ultra and data trak software. If I wanted the pro ultra I would have bought it back in November instead of the smart pro. They told they were not able to offer an upgrade to the Air Z Nitrox since they have no way of taking money from me. They suggested going to the LDS where I purchased it but said I would have have to pay the differece in retail prices. Some how I don't see that is being all that fair. Their computer craps out so I have to spend twice the money to something more reliable and in a timely manner or I have to downgrade and take some software that should come with the computer any way. I am none too happy with Scuba pro right now. I was thinking of getting my wife a smart pro console but I am sure glad I didn't spend another $700 on their products.

I know they will fix the problems with the smart computers and replace them asap, but realistically that will end my dive season since I have no drysuit and it is suppose to take everybit of 90 days to replace the thing. Unless the owner of the LDS i bought it gets a different story from Scuba Pro this will be the last scuba pro product I buy.

I'd suggest insisting that your LDS refund your money and take the computer back.

If they refuse, then I'd go after SP/Uwatec for the same remedy.

With the money, you can buy a computer that works.

Perhaps with all the people affected by this (thousands) there would be an attorney willing to get involved in this - it looks to this non-lawyer like a pretty-clear violation of the implied warranty of merchantabiltiy (Magnuson-Moss), which they MUST honor, and by violating it I think a fair argument can be made that your purchase contract with them has been voided by them - thus, they owe you a refund.

To tell you the truth I like my Smart Pro. It seemed like a pretty good computer. What I don't like is the idea of having to wait 3+ months to get the thing replaced or that I have to settle for a lesser model if I want something of my own to dive with. For what I spent on the thing I could have bought an AI computer from another manufacutrer. I really don't mind paying a bit for an upgrade that is twice the price of my original computer, but to imply or even think that I should have to pay the difference between the retail prices (about $600) is a little unfair.

Fortunately the LDS owner is going to bat for me with Scuba Pro. He has also offered the use of one of their rental computers when ever I want to dive.

Dude...that sucks...I'd be pretty pissed if the LDS wasn't goign to bat for me and make me some sort of temporary offer.

Well, I hope all works out. FWIW...I'd suggest investing in a BT/depth gauge....that way you at least have a back-up on vacation when the SP craps out again.

I had a rouighly similar experience with Scubapro with my Scubapro Track dive computer. I bought it the last year it was made (not knowing of course that they had every intention of discontinuing it next year). When I had a problem with it, the best they could do was offer me a "simulated repair" which amounted to sending me an EDI in it's place. The EDI was at best half the computer the track had been.

I agree, for a little over 200 you can get a SPG and bottom timer.

I always carry these as backups on all my dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom