So how much does an air fill really cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll bet the guys in cave country, even though they have some of the cheapest prices around, make $$ on fills. I'd bet 75% of their fills (at least) are nitrox, with trimix taking up a good portion of what's left over.

I am chatting with my dad about it now , my grandfather used to charge $5 a fill back in the day 1960's , i guess were luck the price hasnt gone up much. If anyone was around in Peekskill NY back then in the dive community you probably new him.

Air fills in these parts are anywhere from $5-10 I am all for them making a profit. Just figure a reasonalbe price for your service and then I will decided if I can afford said service just like I do with every other area in my life. Some activities I feel I can afford, others I can't so I do something else with my money.

Anyway, I just wondered what the real cost was. It is the crying that they are loosing money every time I buy something that is getting to me. If you want me to keep doing business with you, don't make me feel bad everytime I come in the door.

I was always under the impression why tank prices were relatively low (low markup ) was due to the shop making the money off the fills vis and o2 cleaning ?

Wow, Leah, that is at the high end.

At any price approaching $10 they have no business pleading poverty by any estimate I have seen.

At those prices a home compressor starts to be appealing especially when you factor in the runaround factor.

Pete

I paid $500 for a year's nitrox at our LDS. In the last 12 months, I've done about 180 dives. That's what, about $2.75 a fill? And when these same guys had a sale a week ago, and offered the same deal for FOUR hundred dollars, I told them I felt guilty doing it, because they were already losing money on me. They smiled, big happy sincere smiles, and said it didn't bother them at all. THAT's the attitude I want from a shop, and that's part of the reason why I go there (while-you-wait Nitrox fills is another, as is the fact that they carry everything I use on a regular basis).

A shop that tried to make me feel as though they were doing me a favor by filling my tanks would not keep my business very long. I'm susceptible to guilt-tripping, and I don't like it at all.

My LDS was $5/ fill for air. I always thought it was expensive...considering they had a really old compressor (which I assume they have paid off by now...) and they overcharged for everything else in the store...
Gordon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom