So how much does an air fill really cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been in several LDS's and they usually end up telling me at some point that air fills are a loss leader for them and they loose money on every fill. So how much does it really cost for an air fill when you take into account the energy to run the compressor, the compressor cost and its expected life, filters, and all other related costs?

Hi Leah,

There was a good thread on this 6-9 months ago. I think estimates pegged it at something like $6.00. In any case my $225. 100 fill card is bargain. The fact that some shops even offer free fills shows it's a traffic builder.

I probably find something I "need" every other visit.

Pete

Depends on how you look at it. In terms of "making up for buying the compressor", it might take years to recoup that if they only did air. That's not taking into account the filters, maintenance, etc.
Then again, if someone does hundreds, perhaps thousands of air fills per month at $4 or $5 per fill, that's quick money.

Many shops who do nitrox charge pretty high prices unless you're down in cave country or you have a really nice LDS. Most places charge $10+ for nitrox fills (on Al80s, even), and if you factor in the cost of pure O2, the stuff is pretty cheap.

The shop I deal with charges $4 per fill. It is a fairly small shop a long ways fromany really popular dive spots but he says he is making a profit at that price. But he also didn't put too much capital into his compressor. He bought it from a failed operation. I believe the guys who claim to be losing $$ are not including their own savings they incurr by using their "free" compressor.

I guess you could do him a favor and offer to save him from the loss by getting your fills at another facility.:no

I guess it would all depend on how reliable your compresser is.

I am just curiuos what the real deal is. I keep hearing everytime I offer to give money to an LDS at thier posted prices how they are doing me a favor and loosing money when I give them money. I am all for them making a profit. I certainly do in my business. Just wondering what the real cost is.

Tell them to quit crying...what kind of business is that??? Come buy something from me, and Im going to tell you Im not making any money.....

Well Leah come buy from me and I will tell you that Im making money :D and you will still get a great deal

Their attitude is way off--they're not doing you a favor, they're "providing a service." If they don't like losing money on air they shouldn't have started a dive shop.

Some shops do lose money on air fills, others make money. The two biggest factors are compressor reliability and volume. Lots of fill can turn it into a profitable proposition. On the other hand, if your compressor needs repair all the time, that can quickly eat into profits.

Dive Training magazine did an article on this a while ago, and showed that air fills are a "loss leader", based on initial cost, maintenance, filters and electricity to run it. They might have it on their website or find it in a back issue.
C-Dawg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom