So do I just strap this thing on and jump in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .

Whatever your predive safety check process is now, modify it to include the computer. Anything mounted on the wrist is often the last thing that is put on, and it is the easiest thing to forget. As a part of that check, make sure it is set to the correct level of oxygen in your mix. Doing a dive on air when your computer is still set for nitrox from the last dive is a good way to get bent. When I teach OW classes, I alter the old PADI BWRAF to BWRAIF, with the I standing for instruments. (Mnemonic = Bruce WIllis Ruins Another Independent Film.)
. . .

One of the advantages I perceive in my wristwatch-style computer is that it is essentially ALWAYS on my wrist, wherever I am, except for the few seconds during which I am putting that arm into the wetsuit.

I know there are whole threads on mnemonics, but I like the Bruce Willis variation. There will be a time in the not too distant future that I ditch the wristwatch-style for a computer with a large colorful display. I really have liked my D6 and congratulate the OP on his new D6i.

I highly recommend a bungee style wrist strap. Much less likely to be lost. Many of the common wrist style computers have bungee style straps available at DSS. They're also easier to put on, especially if you wear a drysuit or gloves.

I highly recommend a bungee style wrist strap. Much less likely to be lost. Many of the common wrist style computers have bungee style straps available at DSS. They're also easier to put on, especially if you wear a drysuit or gloves.

For a Suunto D6i? No. What the OP really should consider is this: Products - Tibby-Adapters and Straps for your Suunto Dive Computers and watches. As dicussed here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...9-new-non-oem-watch-strap-option-finally.html

1 Read the manual
2 Read the manual again
3 Read the manual once more
4 Then maybe go for a dive

Remember, this thing could kill you if you do not know how it works.

The manual was turning into a mess of words with the word warning appearing a lot. Now that I have processed these processes I think i will get a bit more out of it.

Most computers have a free online tutorial available. I don't remember the address offhand but it should be pretty easy to search for. I've seen it posted here on SB quite a few times....
Thank you for the plug.
The service is called DiveComputerTraining

Unfortunately we do not have a class for the D6i :depressed:
But we have a class for the D6 ... and developing a new one for the D4i :wink:

BTW, now we have surpassed the 31,000 mark :D

Jumping into the water and hoping things will work is the wrong answer for just about everything.

If you read your manual they tell you to turn the computer on before you jump in to check the altitude settings, battery condition, etc.

The automatic activation is for dorks who don't bother to check their gear.

Last edited:
Yup -- read and re-read the manual until you understand it. Something to remember is that some [many...most?] computers tell you different things [or just won't tell you some things] until after you get into the water. When I realized this, I took the plastic laminated cards that came with my Veo 250 and spent some time on the bottom of a swimming pool going through the displays. That helped a lot. Some time later, I discovered that I had never heard the deco warning alarm until I was diving nitrox and had left the settings on air. That was a serious WTF moment, although no harm came of it. Bottom line is that you can't _ever_ just take your gear for granted.

One of the problems I have found with doing guided rec dives on holiday is that you seldom, if ever, get the chance to just fart around with your computer or other gear at a shallow depth to really learn it.

Reactions: Cfn
I have one of those dive computer and I love it. It is very simple to use. It comes ready to dive out of the box all you need to do is set the time and date. If all you're doing is diving air then strap it on your wrist and go dive. If you're going to dive enriched air then set it appropriately and go dive. If you are hesitant then messed around with it underwater and dive tables. Nevertheless you should be able to ask any dive master or instructor at the local dive shop she will help you out. Don't nuke it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The manual was turning into a mess of words with the word warning appearing a lot. Now that I have processed these processes I think i will get a bit more out of it.

That is the typical problem with the idea of "read the manual" as overall advice. There is too much information, and too much information is about as bad as too little information. In that huge blend of information, there are things that you really, really need to know, some things that are good to know but not essential, and a lot of stuff you will probably never need to know but if you did, you know where to get it. You need to have a system of sorting that out.

That is the nice thing about a class or Internet thread that helps you sort that out. If you are told ahead of time that it is important to know how the computer will tell you your NDL for a given depth, calculate your needed surface interval, and guide you through an unplanned decompression ascent, you can look for that information specifically and separate it from the rest of that mass of verbiage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom