So do I just strap this thing on and jump in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stampsalot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Got a D6i... Read the manual... I'm just not that type of guy who reads a manual and knows what to do (yes, I always have an extra screw if I'm told to build ikea furniture).

so what do I do with this thing? So far I plan to strap it on my wrist so the beautiful people will know I'm a diver on my tropical holidays but er... What do I do with this thing. What do you do with yours?

...I'm on the boat to the dive site. Now what? Just jump in the water? How do I get the best out of this thing?

TL;DR: What are your dive computer rituals?

Make sure the battery level is good, make sure 02 percentage is set the same as the tank you are diving, strap it on and jump in.
The first few dives with it you may want to make sure to have a back up depth gauge and watch just in case there is some defect that floods the unit.

Make sure to read the manual and understand the screens. Don't get tunnel vision on one part of the screen and ignore the other info on the screen. You shouldn't have to mess with it underwater, just look at it for the info you need. It will start itself automatically when you hit 4ft or so. Watch it on the way down to confirm. Dive computers are really simple and easy.

If it fails and you don't know how long you have been down and don't have backup gauges then you call the dive and surface slowly as you were taught.

Most important thing is make sure the battery will make it through the dives and make sure you are set to the correct 02 for every tank. If you are just diving air then leave it set on air.

Just hop in. If you're diving air, it really is that easy. If you're diving nitrox, you set the mix you want and THEN dive in. You can probably do some planning, checking logbooks, etc....but none of it is needed. Select the right mix, go dive.

My computer rituals: Verify my mixes, strap on wrist, go dive.

Probably best to not use it first on a pinnacle dive. For example, first couple times you may not want to be on a dive with short NDL or chance of deco. Know how to use it if you get in deco. Read that part carefuly.

Had an aggressive DM/guide put me in a situation where my choice was a little deco or a free ascent from the Spiegel. I took the little deco and rode the computer up clearing the required stops. Glad I had read that part of the manual for a pretty new computer.

I use mine as depth gauge / thermometer / log info the numbers are big enough for me to read.

Read the manual. Some of the displayed information will be self-explanatory, but some may not. It wasn't until after the first time my Suunto went into unplanned deco mode that I went back and read the manual to better understand the relevant display regarding ascent ceilings and such. It is VERY important that you know what the display is telling you should the computer enter unplanned deco mode.

If you're using Nitrox, you need to know how to set it for the percentage you're using.

Calibrate the compass if you plan to use the compass feature.

I am not the type who reads manuals, but having owned my Suunto for five or six years now, at this point I have read every word in the manual. There are even some tidbits buried in there about the RGBM algorithm that may help you avoid unduly limiting your bottom time. From time to time I see someone on SB gripe about how their Suunto unduly limits their bottom time, and I wonder if they have read the manual.

read your manual.....use it a few times and then read the manual again. it should be clearer each time.

Last edited:
the 6Di is a computer that offers air integration, which means that you can use a transmitter for sending tank pressure to the computer. To use this option the transmitter must be screwed into one of the high pressure ports of the first stage of your regulator. Usually the computer must be told to use this information, which is called pairing the tranmitter and the computer. You should do this before splashing ;-)

Before you dive, check the planning function. Input your planned depth to make sure you know your NDL. Assuming you have some kind of time keeping backup, that can be helpful in case of a problem.

Before a second dive, go back to the planning function to make sure you have enough NDL time (because of the surface interval) to do the next dive planned.

Before you dive, make sure you understand how the computer will direct you as to what to do in case you accidentally violate your NDLs. Many people have no idea.

Whatever your predive safety check process is now, modify it to include the computer. Anything mounted on the wrist is often the last thing that is put on, and it is the easiest thing to forget. As a part of that check, make sure it is set to the correct level of oxygen in your mix. Doing a dive on air when your computer is still set for nitrox from the last dive is a good way to get bent. When I teach OW classes, I alter the old PADI BWRAF to BWRAIF, with the I standing for instruments. (Mnemonic = Bruce WIllis Ruins Another Independent Film.)

I believe (could be wrong) that this computer does NOT automatically adjust for altitude. Make sure it is set correctly, especially if you are like me and dive at a variety of altitudes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom