So confused by regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am confused by the differences between the Poseidon Xtreme and Dive Rite Jetstream. On the Dive Rite website they call the second stage Xtreme. I guess I am curious what the differences are between the Poseidon Odin/Jetstream, Dive Rite Jetstream, and Poseidon Xtreme.

Dive Rite seems like they have a better warranty on their branded Jetstream... but I can't find anything about rated depth, but it appears to be oxygen (ant therefore nitrox?) compatible. (edit)
Dive Rite Jetstream

The Poseidon Jetstream is rated to 165 ft and not nitrox compatible? something seems strange there. Almost all regs are nitrox compatible.
Poseidon Jetstream/Odin Tech Specs
Poseidon Xtreme Deep 90 Tech Specs
Poseidon Duration 90 Tech Specs

All so confusing. It looks like if I wanted a regulator that would last me into more advanced diving I would need the Deep 90, or Duration 90? Hrmmm.

Thanks for the info!

Sam

Actually DiveRite uses the Poseidon Jetstream 2nd stage...and plugs that into the Xtreme/Duration first stage instead of the Odin first stage. Both DiveRite's version and Poseidon's version are nitrox compatible. (My jetstream came from the dealer nitrox (40%) ready, so maybe that is something the dealer does?) If you look carefully Poseidon rates their "nitrox ready" as able to handle 50%...which would mean under commonly accepted standards here in the USA mean "O2 clean to 99%".

Where it gets confusing is the Xtreme models. They make several versions but the key ones are Black/Grey 2nd stage which is safe with air/trimix (although mine was cleaned and rated for 40% or less nitrox, which is fine for my use)...a green version which is O2 clean, which means up to 99% O2, (according to scubatoys website). They also make a white second stage (also O2 clean), which is declared as their deco bottle model...but at the price, I think it is total overkill for stage bottle use.

As far as depth ratings....

Xtreme - rated to 656 feet
Jetstream - rated to 165...but I have had it to 200+and it is as good as I have seen and the diverite model with the xtreme 1st stage probably is rated a lot deeper.

Or call DiveRite Express...they are really helpful and I am sure can give you much more tech information. I think there is a thread on it on their manufacture spot under equipment. Just as a thought....if you are leaning this direction, I would start with the Jetstream...and once you get to the point if you are wanting to do deep/tech diving, you will need to have a second regulator setup, you can always come back to a Xtreme model and put the Jetstream into the role of the second setup on your cylinders.

Ok, so without a doubt regulators are the most personal and vital equipment that a diver can own. Having just started in the sport (and getting absolutely addicted) I have found regulators absolutely intimidating to shop for... my requirements are pretty simple:

1. Above everything else it must be reliable.
2. Must be DIN. Simply because the DIN <--> Yoke adapter is so cheap. I see no reason to go yoke.
3. Living in Maine I want a reg that will grow with my diving skill... so cold water is a must. This means sealed first stage at the very least. But I also want it to be good at great depth (for when I get there)
4. Servicing should be easy... whatever that means. I don't want a hassle when it comes time for it to be serviced.

So I know you don't need to get the top of the line regulator, but in a way it would make me feel better. Something so vital to life, I see no problem with dropping a chunk of change on it.

So I am looking for recommendations, things to look for, things to avoid. Good shopping sites to find DIN regs? Leisurepro has a pretty poor selection of DIN based regs.

So here are a few that I have found that look interesting:

Dive Rite Hurricane
Dive Rite Jetstream
Zeagle ZX- Flathead VI

Now there are a few that I can't find in DIN online, but I know they exist...
Apeks XTX200
Atomic Aquatics ST1
Aqualung Legend LX ACD Supreme

Anything here stand out? Missing? I know I should try them all, but that isn't really feasible. Plus I could never test them all under all dive conditions. Hints, tips, personal experience is welcome.

Thanks!
Sam
If you Buy on Line Make sure they are a Authorized dealer , if you need it serviced on the spot you can .
My vote for regulator is Scuba Pro Mark 17/G250 vintage.
This reg will do anything you want it to,and service program is great!

Ok, the battle continues :)

I think I am crossing out Atomic Aquatics, and Scubapro. Not because of their product... but Atomic Aquatics doesn't seem to have a manual available online? Their website is pretty bad. Same with Scubapro... the link to the manual is unavailable. And neither of them are listed in the forums for Manufacturer Q and A. Unfortunately I really like the looks of the Atomic B2... swivel on 2nd stage and 1st. *sigh* And the Scubapro MK25 and MK17 1sts look nice.

Ok... Dive Rite has a pretty huge lead right now. All their regs are O2 friendly, the service plan is reasonable, manuals are readily available online, helpful forum here. The RG3000 w/ Cold Water Kit is rated for ultra cold waters. Seems like a good rig. The Jetstream might be better, but more money and more expensive to maintain.

SlowRain... if you don't mind me asking: What is the typical service charge for your Jetstream? I know it is Poseidon... but perhaps the costs will be similar.

Ok, so that leaves Zeagle, Apeks, Aqualung, and Dive Rite. I will figure this out!

Sorry, not a lot of info in this post... mostly just collecting my thoughts. I tend to obsess when making purchases like this, where there are lots of similar products.

Ok, so that leaves Zeagle, Apeks, Aqualung, and Dive Rite. I will figure this out!

Out of these 4, I don't think you can make a bad decision if you stick to the higher end of each manufacturer's range. At the high end all of them use enviro sealed, balanced diaphragm 1st stages, and balanced adjustable second stages, some of which have heat sinks installed on them. They will all perform well at depth and all perform well in cold water. If you are going to be having them serviced by your local shop, then pick whichever one you can buy at the shop you like best. If you're going to be doing the service yourself, personally I would go with either Zeagle or Dive Rite. Dive Rite in particular makes getting service parts and service manuals exceptionally easy. Zeagle is good as well, since they don't seem to have any policies against selling service parts to consumers, and they are also very well represented here with excellent customer service. Apeks is flying under the AquaLung banner these days, and aren't supportive of anyone other than trained AQ service techs touching their gear, so it can be difficult to find kits for AQ or Apeks.

Good luck with your choice, I think no matter which you choose from that group, you'll be happy.

Jim

I do not know of a reg out there at the moment that doesn't come from the manufacturer ready for 40% nitrox. Also what do you expect from the manual? breath in breath out breath in breath out :)

service information can be found at an authorized dealer, or here or many other locations.

I love my zeagle, they breath so nicley :) but I don't do cold water diving and can't comment on how they preform in that type of enviroment.

I don't really see me servicing it myself. Something so vital to life I would rather leave in the hands of trained professionals. :)

That being said, I am finding myself less and less drawn towards the Aqualung/Apeks regs. Not sure why.

I will have to so some research and find out if you can get aftermarket swivels for the 2nd stage. I noticed will taking lessons that turning my head made it feel like the reg was getting pulled from my mouth. Needless to say, that is an unpleasant feeling :p

ekremer: Hah yeah, but the manual usually has info on the capabilities of the regular. I couldn't tell you much about the Apeks or Aqualung regs, but the Dive Rite RG3000 can go in 27F/-2C degree water (with optional environmental kit). I just like knowing the limits.

I think I am crossing out Atomic Aquatics, and Scubapro. Not because of their product... but Atomic Aquatics doesn't seem to have a manual available online? Their website is pretty bad. Same with Scubapro... the link to the manual is unavailable. And neither of them are listed in the forums for Manufacturer Q and A. Unfortunately I really like the looks of the Atomic B2... swivel on 2nd stage and 1st. *sigh* And the Scubapro MK25 and MK17 1sts look nice.

Ok... Dive Rite has a pretty huge lead right now. All their regs are O2 friendly, the service plan is reasonable, manuals are readily available online, helpful forum here. The RG3000 w/ Cold Water Kit is rated for ultra cold waters. Seems like a good rig. The Jetstream might be better, but more money and more expensive to maintain.

SlowRain... if you don't mind me asking: What is the typical service charge for your Jetstream? I know it is Poseidon... but perhaps the costs will be similar.

Sorry, not a lot of info in this post... mostly just collecting my thoughts. I tend to obsess when making purchases like this, where there are lots of similar products.

Scuba Pro Should not be ruled out because of the reason you stated,DA Aquamaster can answer any question you have about Scuba Pro.
if you go to scuba diving magazine .com you will find the 2007 test results for some of the regs you mentioned.
Scuba pro and Atomic were top performers.

I bought mine through scubatoys....they are an authorized Poseidon Dealer...and service is $49.95 (or thereabouts) with free parts from them for life as I purchased through them...but I have to UPS the regs to them...not a big deal really. I haven't priced service locally in Atlanta, but I believe there are a couple dealers locally...doubt I would switch anyway.

Scuba Pro Should not be ruled out because of the reason you stated,DA Aquamaster can answer any question you have about Scuba Pro.
if you go to scuba diving magazine .com you will find the 2007 test results for some of the regs you mentioned.
Scuba pro and Atomic were top performers.

I second Squidster's views on DA Aquamaster.

I originally bought an Atomic T2 reg during my open water course. It was my favorite and best breather in my personal opinion of the three Atomics I tried (M1 & B2?). But I found with experience with the reg it didnt "feel" right to me at depth. Had the tech tune it up for me but it still felt like I had to suck air from it. And oh the dry mouth.

Then I decided to venture into the Tech field and got me a Poseidon Xtreme Deep. A fine breather but true to popular belief it is tough and/or expensive to maintain. The biggest pitfall I saw with the Poseigon regs is that they have a dedicated hose. In that I mean the way the lp hose connects to the Poseidon regulator is so unique, only Poseidon hoses will work. And those special hoses are EXPENSIVE!

After I bought those two I got into a Tech fundamentals course. So I needed regs for my doubles. I turned to Scubaboard for advice, just as you have. DA Aquamaster, and numerous others on the board, who have been diving Scubapro for many, many years led me to give the MK17/G250V a shot. Great cold water reports on the MK17, and the metal air barrel in the G250V is supposed to reduce dry mouth like the earlier G250 did years ago before Scubapro switched to a plastic air barrel (which , someone chime in if I'm wrong, from what I understand most, if not all other new regs have?). The G250V breathes and performs better than both my Atomics and my Poseidon, In My Opinion and Personal Experience.

Most shops around here service Scubapro, there are many reputable online resources floating about Scubaboard, and it doesnt seem too hard to DIY. I got a couple used old G250's off eBay for less than $50 and some rebuild kits to learn on. After I finish researching and reading books on regulator maintenance. I may not do the work myself...but I am making it a point to know the inner workings of my gear!

Wow...this I believe was my longest post.

Anyhow, that was my take on things.

Best of luck, safe diving...and I'll dismount my soapbox now!

Please don't e offended, but you are crazy if you're making your decision based on whether you can get the manual electronically or whether the reg "looks nice". I have the ScubaPro MK25/S600/G250 and hubby has the Atomic M1. They consistently rank among the top best and both perform without any problems in the chilly waters here in Alaska. They both breathe about the same-very sweet.

You will not need the manual. The only reason I would go with the Atomics next time is the service cycle is once every 2 years instead of annually.

Good luck with your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom