So confused by regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, don't assume that a more expensive reg is really any better. For example, the Atomic line is pretty much identical mechanically from top to bottom of the line, with only some small materials differences in key components for various reasons Titanium in some, but not others due to Oxygen compatibility, etc).

Also look and see if the Extras you get by going up the line will be useful in the long run. E.g. swivels that may go away or become unnecessary if you go to a long-hose configuration.

And +1 on choosing something that some local, who you trust, can service. Also consider service policies and intervals. We went with the Atomics partially because of the two-year/300 dive service interval -- it works well with the moderate amount of diving that we intend to do (enough to be out of the "sitting around, should check 'em" range, but not nearly enough to the "wear something out" range.

Well you're obviously going to get tons of opinions, so I figured I'll give you mine :D. You mentioned the Zeagle ZX-Flathead VI. It's a fantastic regulator, I own 2 of them, and have dove them in water temp in the high 30's and they were utterly rock solid. I also own 2 Zeagle ZX-DSV's in DIN, and have dove them in high 30's under ice as well. Properly tuned, I can't tell the difference between then for the life of me, right down to the 120-130 foot range I've dove to, and was told by the engineer at Zeagle that you would have to be pushing past 200 feet before you'd notice a difference, and by that time you're on helium mixes anyway, and the difference would be next to nothing again. When I purchased my Flathead's, I was offered a HUGE deal on them from my shop, which I work for on weekends, and basically got 2 for the price of 1. If I hadn't been offered this kind of savings, I'd be using all ZX-DSV's instead, and I would be quite happy with that situation.

If I were you, and you are interested in the Flathead, have a good long hard look at the DSV. Performance is practically identical, service is a snap, the second stage is the exact same as the Flathead, it's extremely reliable in both deep and cold water that us Great Lakes divers deal with a lot...and the best part is, it's about $200 cheaper than the Flathead VI.

Jim

Um,,sorry just my opinion , Sherwood was the first reg I ever owned, it was also the first reg that freeflowed on me in only 40 degree F water, its sitting in my closet now if anyone wants to buy it ,its for sale.

I guess I should have specified that their first stage is free flow resistant. The second stage - well, it depend on the type. My understanding is that the Maximus, Blizzard, and Oasis all have metal fins that direct warm breathing air up toward the valve orifice, and keep the second stage from freezing up.

The brut and magnum second stages do not have these metal fins. Did your second stage have 2 thin metal fins when you stick your finger into the mouth piece?? I should have clarified it.

1 vote for Aqualung/Apeks...as long as your LDS near by is a service center...as was recommended before.

Well I have been calling around and there are a number of dive shops within 2 hours of me.
Aqualung/Apeks
Scubapro
Dive Rite
Zeagle
Atomic
Mares

So LDS is not going to really help me. Although the closest diveshop seems the most friendly and does Aqualung/Apeks. So I am sort of leaning towards them. However Atomic's warranty and service schedule can't be beat... My guess is I will end up with a reg from one of these three. Time to narrow down my choices. I can get the Apeks XTX200 for less than $600 at the LDS I like. This is complicated :/ Picking out gear should be fun! :)

Mares looks like they have some nice products as well. I guess I am up in the air about scubapro, mares and zeagle.

Think I will cross out the Dive Rite Jetstream. After reading a bit about it, I guess it is expensive to fix and dealers are few and far between.

Where in Maine do you live? Are you planning on having it serviced locally? That may limit your choices. In Southern Maine I now of three LDS in Portland and between them there are many brands not covered. The selection is probably even less further north.

For example, I don’t know of anyone that actually carries Dive Rite, but Aqua Diving (in Portland) may be a dealer for it.

Is DIY a consideration in the future when it comes to service?

Fisher dvm,,Yes it was a Sherwood Brut, I did,nt know any better at the time I was just starting to dive,thanks for the clarification.

Where in Maine do you live? Are you planning on having it serviced locally? That may limit your choices. In Southern Maine I now of three LDS in Portland and between them there are many brands not covered. The selection is probably even less further north.

For example, I don’t know of anyone that actually carries Dive Rite, but Aqua Diving (in Portland) may be a dealer for it.

Is DIY a consideration in the future when it comes to service?

All Resource Divers, Come Dive In!

Is another Dive Rite shop. I live in Old Town right now.

DIY would only be an option if it didn't void the warranty I guess. Although, really after 5 or so years it may not be that important.

I called Aqua Diving earlier today to ask about the Atomic ST1 (EXPENSIVE!!! that one is off the list... $900+) and I was not impressed. They did not seem very pleasant on the phone. Hrmm.

$600,,Thats a lot for an Apeks setup, you should be able to get it for around $470-490 if you shop around, ask your dealer if they can give it to you for that and maybe negotiate from that?

I vote for Sherwood or Apeks. Sherwood will save you a lot of money, but the apeks will breath nicer. I know people that have had Sherwood regs. for over 10 years, and never had them serviced. That's why my first regulators were Shgerwoods.

The no warranty thing about online purchases is a big deal with the Apeks regulators. Their warranty covers the original purchaser only, and only from authorized dealers. It covers free parts for life. so you will never have to buy parts when you have them serviced.

The Sherwoods were perfect for me, until I tried my brother's Apeks regulators. They do breath that much nicer. I had to buy some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom