So confused by regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hrm, well the poseidon jetstream does not appear to be nitrox compatible. Either that or their website sucks :p

Everything is Nitrox compatible up to 40%, if you want it to work with more than 40% you have it O2 cleaned.

So whats the advantage of getting a diverite?
Why not just get a posieden?

I never said there was.

There is one thing different about this reg tho, it's not a true Jetstream, it's an X-stream first stage with a Jetstream second stage, but it's still a Poseidon no matter how you cut it.

Wow. My head is spinning.

I fear I will never end up with a regulator at this rate.

Oceanic scares me because of a short 2-year warranty. The norm for the business seems to be lifetime? And the recall because "Evaluation has shown that a specific batch of HP (High Pressure) Seats contained material that can deteriorate and fail to properly perform its mechanical sealing (shut off) function, causing an uncontrollable free flow which could result in serious injury to or death of the user."

I am not saying it is Oceanic's fault, it might have been the supplier of the material... but still it seems like at a certain stage quality control should have caught that.

Ok, here is a question: Is Oceanic's Dry Valve Technology (DVT) the same as an environmentally sealed first stage? I do really like the looks of DVT.

Leapfrog, if you should rinse the DIN connector with the bottle still attached and the air on... how do you change tanks on the boat if their is no fresh water available?

Atomic Aquatics is starting to look better again. I don't know! I am getting frustrated. hehe :p
Perhaps I didn't explain properly. You don't have to rinse EVERY TIME you finish a dive. Nor should you rinse the DIN connector unless the cover is on! I meant to say that when you do wash with fresh water, wash the whole reg set while still attached to the bottle with air on. I hope that clarifies....

Once again, I would suggest that you avoid a poseidon reg for your first, recreational use regulator, due to the specialized service required. That's not that difficult to understand, right?

If you have a reliable, reasonably priced, conveniently located source of service for the reg, you will save yourself a lot of hassle. If this includes poseidon, fine, then you can forget this advice. Just don't expect emergency repairs in remote locations, like if some little thing goes wrong on a dive trip.

There's no arguing that poseidons have proven themselves in extreme environments and depths. How much that applies to your situation as a new recreational diver is very questionable. A simple, reliable downstream reg with commonly available parts and a design that most reg technicians have experience with is much more practical, and will provide you with more than enough performance.

The DVT bit is also something that I would avoid, although that's more personal preference than anything else. First, it's simply not needed; just make sure you rinse/soak the reg with the dust cap in place. The DVT is not designed to replace the dust cap, BTW. Second, inspecting the filter element is a common, tried and true easy method of evaluating potential problems with the reg and the air source. The DVT makes this impossible, as you have to remove it to even see the filter. Third, most regs are designed so that in the event of failure, air flow will not stop; usually the result is uncontrolled freeflow, or in the rare case of mainspring failure, diminished airflow due to lower IP. But usually the only thing that could stop airflow entirely is blockage to the inlet. Guess what the DVT does? While I'm certain there are failsafes built into the system, like the fact that downstream air pressure from the source opens it, why take the chance when there are not really any significant benefits in the first place? It's a classic example of a solution to a non-existent problem that the dive industry is using to market regulators.

I cant believe i am posting the 85 TH post on this Question.
But here Goes.
You have had plenty of advice on regs,so just get one that you can get serviced close by your home.
i think its a big mistake buying a reg on line unless you live 150 miles from nearest LDS.
if you have LDS nearby they will only be Annoyed when you bring it in.
Buy other scuba stuff online that doesnt require annual service.

Ok guys, thanks for the help. I am only looking at LDS for my regulator. Unfortunately I live relatively close to this place Aqua Diving Academy and even closer to a dive shop that carries Aqualung, Mares, Scuba Pro and Apeks. So I have access to tons of options even though I live in the frozen north.

I will figure it out... It will probably end up being an Apeks or Aqualung simply because they are closest to me. If I get a poseidon itwill probably be through Scubatoys because they charge $50 for service, and that is only every 2 years/100 hours.

Oh well, I guess I will just draw one from a hat :) Thanks again for trying to help the unhelpable.

If you are thinking Aqualung or Apeks, then go Apeks with the TX 50. IT will serve you now and for any dives you may do in the future.

If you are thinking Aqualung or Apeks, then go Apeks with the TX 50. IT will serve you now and for any dives you may do in the future.

I agree, The Apex xtx 50 or xtx 200 or tx models are liftime regs!:D:D:D
That is as long as they keep making parts for servicing.

Yeah, they look very nice. My biggest problem with Apeks is that I can't tell the difference between lets say... the ATX200 and the XTX200. However the Black Pearl looks drop dead sexy. I would never buy a regulator based on how it looks, but that one is actually tempting :)

The TX line looks like just the 2nd stage... ? I wish they had a comparison chart :)

Back
Top Bottom