So confused by regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea how you tell if a regulator is good for extreme cold or not. Looking at the Delta 4 website they don't seen to mention how cold it can go. The RG3000 w/ Environmental Kit is listed at 27F/-2C. I really really appreciate the fact that they list it out like that, and it is why I have selected them.

I have no idea how you tell if a regulator is good for extreme cold or not. Looking at the Delta 4 website they don't seen to mention how cold it can go. The RG3000 w/ Environmental Kit is listed at 27F/-2C. I really really appreciate the fact that they list it out like that, and it is why I have selected them.

I dont blame MFG for not putting diagrams and every little detail about there regs on line.Its the dealers Job to get you the info you need along with the MFG.
if you want to know how cold a specific reg tested , they can get you independent test results.
Which is more reliable then what the MFG says it will do! ( most of the time)
Your diveright should be A OK:D

I Think if you Check independent testing you will find that The Scubapro MK17/G250vintage is Able to do anything and even more then The Delta can Do.

And there are many more to,that make great coldwater regs.
So i would have to say that there is no THE COLD WATER REG,However the Delta is A Good cold water reg For Sure !

Ok, check independent test. Ok now what? What does independent testing tell us? Maybe bias on the money that company spent on ads? What test are these not done by a magazine that gets paid for advertisements. Then it's a whole easier to believe. If you have some please tell us ... so we can look them up.

Well I think I'll still stick with the Governments testing ... I don't think they have anything to lose, "telling it like it is."

I've spent plenty of time diving in cold water: British Columbia and Nova Scotia. I have three regs: a US Divers Arctic, and 2 Poseidon Cyklon 5000 Metals. The Poseidons in particular are extremely reliable and I have NEVER had a freeze-up or free-flow from either one. The deeper you dive the sweeter the Poseidons breathe. While I don't own an Apeks, I've heard good things. Poseidons have traditionally been the ultimate cold-water reg, but a lot as changed over the past few years. Poseidons can be expensive to maintain, so check with your LDS prior to purchasing. The Cyklon 5000 was the first single-hose reg ever built and many Navies the world over choose Poseidons as their deep/cold reg of choice b/c it's so reliable.

Ok, check independent test. Ok now what? What does independent testing tell us? Maybe bias on the money that company spent on ads? What test are these not done by a magazine that gets paid for advertisements. Then it's a whole easier to believe. If you have some please tell us ... so we can look them up.

Well I think I'll still stick with the Governments testing ... I don't think they have anything to lose, "telling it like it is."

I wonder if some of the regs the Government purchased was on Oceanics latest Recall list?
DA Aquamaster is the real Scubapro Expert,he can get you all the info you need on how good scuba pro is.
What about apex? are they worthless because they didnt get picked by NOAA,i think not.
Besides i am not saying that Oceanic is Crap i am saying there is other choices that is just as reliable.

There is no doubt about it, Poseidon Xstream is the way to go. Not only because of reliability total abscence of freeflow or jamming up on you but also the design allows you to give air through the Octopus to another diver both ways around. Just make sure if you are diving with someone not familiar with these regs that you tell them that and show them the side purge. It keeps the bubble out of your face allowing you to do intricate tasks down there such as getting an anchor out of a fishing net or freeing a dolphin caught up in one. Breathes real nice. They come normally in DIN format and you should rinse them with the bottle still attached and the air "on". The Navy uses them and for good reasons. Only drawback, have them serviced once a year by an official distributor near you.

Wow. My head is spinning.

I fear I will never end up with a regulator at this rate.

Oceanic scares me because of a short 2-year warranty. The norm for the business seems to be lifetime? And the recall because "Evaluation has shown that a specific batch of HP (High Pressure) Seats contained material that can deteriorate and fail to properly perform its mechanical sealing (shut off) function, causing an uncontrollable free flow which could result in serious injury to or death of the user."

I am not saying it is Oceanic's fault, it might have been the supplier of the material... but still it seems like at a certain stage quality control should have caught that.

Ok, here is a question: Is Oceanic's Dry Valve Technology (DVT) the same as an environmentally sealed first stage? I do really like the looks of DVT.

Leapfrog, if you should rinse the DIN connector with the bottle still attached and the air on... how do you change tanks on the boat if their is no fresh water available?

Atomic Aquatics is starting to look better again. I don't know! I am getting frustrated. hehe :p

Wow. My head is spinning.

I fear I will never end up with a regulator at this rate.

Oceanic scares me because of a short 2-year warranty. The norm for the business seems to be lifetime? And the recall because "Evaluation has shown that a specific batch of HP (High Pressure) Seats contained material that can deteriorate and fail to properly perform its mechanical sealing (shut off) function, causing an uncontrollable free flow which could result in serious injury to or death of the user."

I am not saying it is Oceanic's fault, it might have been the supplier of the material... but still it seems like at a certain stage quality control should have caught that.

Ok, here is a question: Is Oceanic's Dry Valve Technology (DVT) the same as an environmentally sealed first stage? I do really like the looks of DVT.

Leapfrog, if you should rinse the DIN connector with the bottle still attached and the air on... how do you change tanks on the boat if their is no fresh water available?

Atomic Aquatics is starting to look better again. I don't know! I am getting frustrated. hehe :p

No,Enviro sealed unit means that all the working parts are sealed.
With the basic Diaphram reg everything is sealed except the spring,the enviro sealed unit seals the spring chamber also.
The dvt system seals the hole where the air comes in from the tank,thus if you accidently forget dust cap before you rinse unit ,no worries.
Thats a good thing.
I think that shortly all regs will have a system like DVT.
My friend took his oceanic reg in for first service and they charged him 70.00,Rip!!!
I took my Scubapro in and the first service is free,after that they charge you for labor only,parts for life is free:D
ScubaproMK17 Is a Enviromentally sealed extreme cold water reg.
The G250Vintage is designed to help prevent dry mouth and is perfectly paired up with the MK17 First stage for cold water
No matter what you get ,i think a Balanced first and second stage is the way to go ,the enviromentally sealed first stage i feel is mor impotant then having the DVT system.
With oceanic you can have both,its your choice.
Oceanic make good regs,all companys have voluntary recalls from time to time.
You no what my choice for regs are SP:D
That gov stimules check will come in handy,for that new MK17/G250vintage, Oh Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom