So confused by regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Apeks XTX200 and my wife has the AL Legend LX ACD that I use once in a while since she is a warm-water diver only right now. I really like both regs. The major difference between Supreme and non-Supreme is noted above - slight de-tuning for non-Supreme. You can (with a little skill) bounce between the two tunings if you get into it. The ACD feature is nice - really limits water getting into the filter.

The XTX200 is better than the other Apeks regs in one major area only really. If you ever need to replace an internal part, it can be replaced easily and very cheaply with the XTX200. With the other Apeks lines, you would need a pricey replacement of the whole piece (The XTX200 separates the pieces so you can replace only the one that truly may ever need it). I am vague on the names because the rep explained it to me over a year ago.

I love both regs. My old reg is a Sherwood Maximus that I liked a lot. I still use it, but only for the pony bottle now. I liked the under-arm aspect of that one, but it would draw wet once in a rare while - was never a factor to me though. Sherwoods are VERY inexpensive to maintain - few parts, not too pricey.

All three regs are offered in DIN or Yoke.

The XTX200 is better than the other Apeks regs in one major area only really. If you ever need to replace an internal part, it can be replaced easily and very cheaply with the XTX200. With the other Apeks lines, you would need a pricey replacement of the whole piece (The XTX200 separates the pieces so you can replace only the one that truly may ever need it). I am vague on the names because the rep explained it to me over a year ago.

The XTX50, XTX100, & XTX200 second stages are the same internally. The only thing that is different other than cosmetics, is the first stage that they come with if bought together.

The XTX50, XTX100, & XTX200 second stages are the same internally. The only thing that is different other than cosmetics, is the first stage that they come with if bought together.

Yup. The difference is in the 1st stage. I think it was a conical shaped item, but then.. it has been a while. The XTX50 and 100 and the ATX lines are essentially the same other than number of prts, port location, etc.

My XTX200 also has the swivel next to the 2nd stage and I LOVE that feature.

I swear by my DR Hurricane. Incredible breather. I have dived it from 80 degree down to 45 degree waters, huffed and puffed in river current and never had a free flow or a feeling that I wasn't getting enough air. I wish I could give you more info in waters below 45F but I have yet to go colder. I know quite a few others that will swear by them too.

As others have stated, ease of service depends on your local LDS options or access to parts if you're planning on servicing the reg yourself.

Just my 2 psi and good luck!

:zen:

Zeagle Flathead IV gets my vote. Great product and well supported by Scott on this board. Really great people to deal with

Yup. The difference is in the 1st stage. I think it was a conical shaped item, but then.. it has been a while. The XTX50 and 100 and the ATX lines are essentially the same other than number of prts, port location, etc.

My XTX200 also has the swivel next to the 2nd stage and I LOVE that feature.

The part you are referring to is whar Apeks calls the removable high pressure valve seat (hard seat). As I have recently discovered, it is only replaceable on the FSR (ATX, XTX 200) first stage. I discussed this with an Apeks tech, and he said that usually the only way an integral seat is damaged is by a heavy handed (gentle translation) tech when he takes the first stage apart. I would not make this seat a Y/N issue of purchase.

On all Zeagles, which are very, very similar to Apeks, hard seats are replaceable.

there are a number of dive shops within 2 hours of me.
Aqualung/Apeks ... Scubapro ... Dive Rite ... Zeagle ... Atomic ... Mares ... Although the closest diveshop seems the most friendly and does Aqualung/Apeks.
Mares looks like they have some nice products as well. I guess I am up in the air about scubapro, mares and zeagle.
If it comes down to Mares, SP, Zeagle and Apeks, I would eliminate Mares because of periodic, and unpredictable, challenges getting parts. Among the other three, it is a coin-toss, and you won't go wrong with any of those. I dive ATX200s deep and cold, and love them. I dive ZX-50Ds deep and cold, and love them. Both regs are easy breathing and I have never had a problem in cold temps with either. My dive buddy uses ScubaPro, is a SP technician, and has nothing but good things to say about SP. Getting your choice in DIN is not an issue (since yoke regs are the most common configuratiuon, that is also what you will see the most of on-line; they are easily configured for DIN).

Well for whatever it is worth...the DiveRite Jetstream is actually made by Poseidon. That regulator has been in service nearly 30 years and is in use by NASA and the US Navy, among others. It is cold water rated, is nearly bombproof, and having been around as long as it has...parts are not an issue, especially if you have a DiveRite dealer or Poseidon dealer near you. I use a Poseidon Odin (Posiedon's model of the JetStream,) as my second reg on my tech gear and an Xtreme as the primary. They are very good regulators. By the way...they are DIN. The downside is they are not an inexpensive investment...although if you look at ScubaToys, they are a licensed Poseidon dealer.

I love my hurricane, it's a very easy breather at all the depths I've been at.

I haven't dove a vast number of different regs that I can't really provide a solid comparison... will your LDS let you demo them before you buy?

Well for whatever it is worth...the DiveRite Jetstream is actually made by Poseidon. That regulator has been in service nearly 30 years and is in use by NASA and the US Navy, among others. It is cold water rated, is nearly bombproof, and having been around as long as it has...parts are not an issue, especially if you have a DiveRite dealer or Poseidon dealer near you. I use a Poseidon Odin (Posiedon's model of the JetStream,) as my second reg on my tech gear and an Xtreme as the primary. They are very good regulators. By the way...they are DIN. The downside is they are not an inexpensive investment...although if you look at ScubaToys, they are a licensed Poseidon dealer.

I am confused by the differences between the Poseidon Xtreme and Dive Rite Jetstream. On the Dive Rite website they call the second stage Xtreme. I guess I am curious what the differences are between the Poseidon Odin/Jetstream, Dive Rite Jetstream, and Poseidon Xtreme.

Dive Rite seems like they have a better warranty on their branded Jetstream... but I can't find anything about rated depth, but it appears to be oxygen (ant therefore nitrox?) compatible. (edit)
Dive Rite Jetstream

The Poseidon Jetstream is rated to 165 ft and not nitrox compatible? something seems strange there. Almost all regs are nitrox compatible.
Poseidon Jetstream/Odin Tech Specs
Poseidon Xtreme Deep 90 Tech Specs
Poseidon Duration 90 Tech Specs

All so confusing. It looks like if I wanted a regulator that would last me into more advanced diving I would need the Deep 90, or Duration 90? Hrmmm.

Thanks for the info!

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom