So Cal Diver Dies at Laguna Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really sad news. I remember learning to ditch the weight in pool, in rescue diver class, we learned to ditch the victim's weight, oral inflate the BCD. We learned to patially inflate our BCD before entering water so that we are positively buoyant. We learn to remove and replace BCD in water. But a "rescue diver" with 100 dives experience happened to "forget" the basic skills we learn in class, it can't be explained, it was his time to go.

fishnchips:
But a "rescue diver" with 100 dives experience happened to "forget" the basic skills we learn in class, it can't be explained, it was his time to go.

As was stated in previous posts, you don't know what your reaction will be until you have to use those skills. It may have been Darryll's time to go...but not with the tone of your voice. This still hurts many of us that were his friend's, so be thoughtful and compassionate when you post. you need to practice the skills consistently with all your dive buddies in order for it to become a natural response, regardless of how many dives you have under your belt.

And BTW, THOR, who the h$#! are you? Don't say s*&^! you can't back up. Be a man (or woman) and let us know who you are. If you have something to say, then be forthright and don't hide behind a screen name!!!!!!

Laurel, I think Thor is long gone now. This was, I believe, the only thread he posted to. Whoever he is, he was a Troll. I am also wondering why theselast two posters would choose this thread to make thier first posts. There are much better ways to introduce yourselves, people! Try the introductions and greets forum next time!

It is unfortunate for everyone that we have lost another diver, but it is almost as sad that we have someone that will create profiles to try and start problems. My thoughts and condolances to everyone that knew, knew of or hoped to know Darryl.

We could all sit around and point out mistakes, or potential mistakes, that were or could have been made. Doing that is useless, unless we learn from it and do a bit of soul seaching and use it to improve ourselves. We can all learn what to do, when to do it and how to do it. Until we are actually have to put those drills into practice and we're potentially facing the Master Instructor from above, we don't know exactly what we'll do. Hopefully, I have learned a few things from some of these post and I plan on adding and adjusting a few things in my next set of classes. Maybe one day the lessons learned here might actually help save a life later.

Thank you Robert, I hope you are right...about the troll not appearing again.

Lead Carrier, I agree with you 100%. My buddies and I have been doing a lot more practice with emergency skills since the accident. The SOCDC has even set up a quarterly pool skills practice session with several instructors and DMs running the show. Everybody I personally know has become more aware of the importance of practicing skills, such as weight removal, Oral BCD inflation, CESA, and buddy breathing. I just hope everybody out there does the same.

If you are a diver, then you know the risks. Whenever water is close there is always danger. Storm+Pond = ZZZAAAPP!!!!! No Reg in mouth+water= bubbles, then no bubbles. But water is a good thing too, drinking. It is simply an accident randomly happening everyday worldwide. I am not saying " Who cares?" but I am saying it is a random chance and it is sad that things can happen like that, bt no water=no scuba. It is all a gamble, 50/50 chance for a good or bad thing to happen. But unfortunantly the price for gambling is priceless, LIFE. Keep Safe y'all

You too GQmedic!!!
6 dives a week at laguna....AAAHHH!!!!

robertphillips5:
Laurel, I think Thor is long gone now. This was, I believe, the only thread he posted to. Whoever he is, he was a Troll. I am also wondering why theselast two posters would choose this thread to make thier first posts. There are much better ways to introduce yourselves, people! Try the introductions and greets forum next time!

You know, I say things I wish I hadn't, and I make mistakes, but that was just ill spiritied of them, I think. Extra SB memberships are not allowed, but how often do they get caught.

On the other hand, just in case anyone doesn't like what DiverKid said
:aeh: - cut him some slack, and check his profile before reactring.

don

I see this post has been here awhile, but there has been some recent activity, so I hope to get a response.

I am very new at this (heading to Mexico next week to do OW dives for c-card). I have always wanted to dive, talked my husband into it, am a good swimmer and have always been at home in the water (confined or open).

We took our required class hoping that it would prepare us to go jump off the boat into the open water, but as the day draws close.. I admit to some nerves. I do not feel the least bit prepared.

Of course, we all hope for safe dives, but we also know that things happen sometimes. And kneeling in a pool and demonstrating each required activity once just doesn't get it. I'm not sure I even remember it (from a few weeks ago) and I'm certain in an emergency, I WON'T respond appropriately.

What is a newbie supposed to do?? I am open to any advice, thoughts or encouragment. I have read the posts, and want to applaud the instructors who really seem to think about these things and care.

Amy, the most dangerous part of the trip will be the drive to the airport. Remember to always wear your seat belt, including in the Cozumel vans & taxis...

Scuba has the potential to be dangerous, but we work on safety so much that we have few losses. I have my own thoughts on this particular loss, but I've already posted them. Two biggies to remember are Never hold your breath, and Get positive when you have a problem - to the extent of dropping your weights if needed.

So you'll be Referrals, doing your Check-Outs for Certification? I think they do those in the shallows near shore? Tell the instructor if you're nervous, so he'll know to watch you closely.

But don't dwell on this accicent thread. Spend more time reading from New To Scuba forum, and maybe the Mexico forum about Cozumel...

have fun, :biggrinba don

Thanks for the encouragement... And don't worry, I'm not dwelling on this and not the naturally pessimistic type. Just feeling a bit unprepared. I don't know how deep we will be... I know we go out on a boat (Puerto Vallarta) and will be diving at Los Arcos and the Marietas Islands. Other than that I don't know much. They say low vis and will need at least 5mm suits... so.. for what that's worth. :)

I would feel better if we were going to Coz, since I have been there before and done lots of snorkeling there. Love it! Anyway... thanks and I will be sure to post when we get back! This board is GREAT! love to hear from all of you long time divers!! Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom