So Cal Diver Dies at Laguna Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly won't question or offer criticism but simply would like some clarification in hopes of reducing my risks.

I'm wondering what kind of procedure someone might undertake which would require turning off the tank valve while in the water? I'd be terrified of turning mine off unless my BCD were completely inflated and not likely then. With my integrated weights I'd don my fins and then consider removing BCD but never with a weight belt. Having learned to dive in a third world country where equipment failures were on every dive my views are somewhat conservative. I've dived without the BCD hose on many times but seldom inflate that way so it isn't needed.

Again, what procedure might be undertaken which required turning off the tank valve?

When entering through the surf, would the BCD be fully inflated?
I've never entered through strong surf so don't know what to expect. I can see that little inflation would make it easier to make progress face down but woudl it have that much effect to be fully inflated and back paddling with fins on hands?

The no fins issue is certainly worth thinking about....if the BCD failed without fins in place it might be too easy to panic while trying to get rid of all the gear.....

I can see it is time for my dive buddy and I to do some "loose the gear drills"!

What other lessons come out of thinking about this kind of incident?

The point is not "what procedures require turning off the tank valve" but that you should be able to turn it on and off by reaching back and turning it.

robertphillips5:
The point is not "what procedures require turning off the tank valve" but that you should be able to turn it on and off by reaching back and turning it.

This idea isn't really applicable to this particular situation. I don't disagree at all, however.

The dive accident seems to be more health related than diving related, although it happened while on the way back in from an aborted dive. They did make several poor choices. I, personally, would NEVER turn off my air in the water, nor have/do/would back-paddle with my fins in my hands. I do practice dropping weights and other basic OW skills every dozen or so dives. Keep in mind, I dive almost every week, with an average of 3 dives per week during the Fall and Winter and 1 to 2 during the spring and summer. I would suggest practicing skills more often than every 12 dives, if that is all the diving you do in a year.

I hope this answered some questions. Keep on diving but do realize SCUBA is an extreme sport and every dive could result in tradgedy if not done with proper equipment, training, and mindset.

AmyJ:
Thanks for the encouragement... And don't worry, I'm not dwelling on this and not the naturally pessimistic type. Just feeling a bit unprepared. I don't know how deep we will be... I know we go out on a boat (Puerto Vallarta) and will be diving at Los Arcos and the Marietas Islands. Other than that I don't know much. They say low vis and will need at least 5mm suits... so.. for what that's worth. :)

Nervousness is normal. Know your limits and remember you don't have to dive if you're not comfortable with the conditions or depth. Don't let the price of the trip or "what it's taken you to get there" to be the deciding factor in whether you dive or not. If you think it's too mush or you don't feel right, don't dive.

Do some more pool work, if you can, then go out on a more local boat, if you can to get more practice. Also, know that most DMs and Instructors (especially in tropical destinations) don't push people beyond their limits and they will always be willing to give you a guide, if you ask.

Have fun on your trip!!

AmyJ:
Of course, we all hope for safe dives, but we also know that things happen sometimes. And kneeling in a pool and demonstrating each required activity once just doesn't get it. I'm not sure I even remember it (from a few weeks ago) and I'm certain in an emergency, I WON'T respond appropriately.

What is a newbie supposed to do?? I am open to any advice, thoughts or encouragment. I have read the posts, and want to applaud the instructors who really seem to think about these things and care.

As an instructor I have to agree that demonstrating each skill once while kneeling on the pool bottom soesn't qualify as dive training by any stretch of the imagination. However it is what often is passed off for training.

I have to disagree with the advice others have given and suggest that if you have questions about how your training was conducted or your readiness to advance to open water you should talk with your instructor about it NOW.

If you still aren't satisfied then you should talk to a different instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom