So Cal Diver Dies at Laguna Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GET SLEEP!

Thor once bubbled...
glad to stir the pot, because it should be.

If you actually read my posts- there is NO blame. I merely wished to point out and discuss a chosen entry method which is NOT a neccessity in 98% of Laguna Beach.

Shrwdtech: I should not have to tell YOU because you are an instructor, but the "fins on" method is not "put your fins on and walk backwards," either. In 4-5' of water one can easily put their fins on and kick out- and this IS past the surf zone here in LB. And if, for some reason, it's that big- you're probably not divind g right shrwd?

However- those individuals offended are, no doubt, dive club members that do NOT perform pre-dive checks, plans, and enter fins off.

And, by fins off (because I enter fins off as well) I mean- you "paddle" beyond a depth that is reachable by standing vertically. OHHHHHHHHHH. I get it now. This incident happened in 12' of water---------------OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. And- you should not have to be in 12' water here to get past the surf on a day that is truly diveable.

thank you.

I'm done with this ridiculous and ignorant forum

Thor:
<snip>
Shrwdtech: I should not have to tell YOU because you are an instructor, but the "fins on" method is not "put your fins on and walk backwards," either. In 4-5' of water one can easily put their fins on and kick out- and this IS past the surf zone here in LB. And if, for some reason, it's that big- you're probably not divind g right shrwd?

I don't see the difference between what you are saying and what Shredtech is saying....In any case, Shrwdtech describes the way I teach entries in Laguna Beach and I believe it is the safest method of entry.

Please don't feed the troll.

GQMedic:
Please don't feed the troll.

You mean I fell for it....and just when I was going to mention that if Thor really was going to be "done with the ridiculous and ignorant forum" that he would have decreased both.

Eh, I fell for it too! *chortle* Oh well...

Otter:
You mean I fell for it....and just when I was going to mention that if Thor really was going to be "done with the ridiculous and ignorant forum" that he would have decreased both.

I know u thought I was done, and I did as well. I apologize for the point (and I was actually trying for one) being lost- kind of.

Shrwd and I (upon further review) are talking about the same thing. Clarifictaion- I was talking about keeping fins on hands (one in each) and paddling well past the surf zone in overhead water.

And, yes, there are numerous things here (weights, air, etc.) that seemingly went wrong. However, I chose this one item because it (the "paddling" entry for lack of a better term) is a common approach of a particular group. I, for one, feel as though it is a bad habit. And, new divers, or anyone should be aware of this. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I think the reality is that we are all trying to be better divers. And, if we are trying to better divers, we are hopefully trying to be safer.

Let's ALL not take anything for granted here. Down to (and it has been mentioned) staying in close contact with your buddy upon ascent/descent AND entry.

The reality is, and A point to this accident is that things CAN go wrong and they can happen in a blink of an eye. SO, by relying upon the basic principles and skills taught in OW and not straying from them one iota- things CAN be prevented and things CAN be dealt with.

I'm sure that all of us can be better at something. Or, in fairness, safer.

Life is a very precious and short thing. We are here and then we are not. Let us be mindful and respectful of that and mindful and respectful of that BIG BLUE out there.

Thank you.

Thor: I'm done with this ridiculous and ignorant forum.
Scrooge: Then I suggest you do so at once, and decrease the surplus population.
:xmas_2:

As someone who has made more than my fair share of Laguna dives, I'd have to say that the South Coast Dive club members are the only ones I have ever seen paddling with fins on their arms. I tried it once, but I've found that what works best for me is the same technique that all my buddies use. We enter the surf with the fins in our hands. When we get past the surfline, which in Laguna's case usually means five feet deep we simply put our fins on our feet and start kicking out. I've also learned from experience that when the surf is over five feet, you really don't belong out there anyway. I went out in 6-8 feet surf at Diver's ove once just because I "had to dive". I lost a mask while my wife lost a $250 light. Even if we had made it to the reefs without losing any gear, the vis would have been zero. I prefer to dive another day.

Thor,

You haven't answered the question posed to you. Exactly how are you privy to inside information?..Who is your source?

It's difficult to put any weight on your claim if you are afraid to reveal your source.

I doubt seriously if anyone from that office, with that info, would have shared it with you.

Please, provide proof that I'm wrong about my last point.

I've been diving in Laguna since 1988. I've seen entries performed and taught in both "fins on" and "fins-off" manner. Both seem to work equally well. One may may work better than the other, depending on conditons and locations, but as always, an argument can be made either way.

Accountablity is not at issue here. Truth is all that matters. If lessons can be learned from this tragic event, then it's our responsibilty to learn them, and not waste time pointing fingers.

Experience is a wonderful teacher, she allows you to recognize a mistake when you see it again.

Back
Top Bottom