snuff dipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds odd, but try a book written by Allen Carr - The Easyway to Quit Smoking"

I smoked (same principle) did the patch, zyban, etc etc..the book is AMAZING. It deals with breaking the psychological habit - the strongest bond of nicotine addiction. I have known many individuals who have quit nicotine with this method.

At first, I laughed my head off at the thought, but it's got a 98% success rate with a European study...

Since I have never been addicted to tobacco, I can only tell you that I understand it is an extremely addictive drug. It is a drug. My mother died from the results of this addiction due to cancer when she was just too young. Only 60. My grandmother dipped snuff, and I agree with Walter, it's a disgusting habit. However, when you are very young, you want to try what those you love enjoy. So, I asked my grandmother to try some snuff. She took a tiny little bit and put on my tongue. Needless to say, I was never tempted to try it again.

Good luck, but do whatever it takes to quit.

skeet:
anyone have personal quitting stories,strategies,methods,that could break me of the habbit?

I quit using tobacco products in all forms after years of addiction. There's only one trick to quitting.

Don't smoke/dip/whatever.

I'm not being obnoxious. It will be a decision you make every moment of every day for a couple of weeks. Then it gets less frequent. Then less. Now, I don't ever think about smoking or dipping because it's gross and I'm not addicted anymore.

Seriously, I have an addictive personality, so I don't think it was easier for me than other people. It was hard as hell to quit. The only thing to focus on is this moment right now. Even though you want to have a dip, DON'T!

You'll want to have one again in 10 minutes. But that's not the time to think about. Think about right now, and DON'T DO IT. Decide not to do it RIGHT NOW. If you can always decide not to have one RIGHT NOW, no matter what you tell yourself about an hour from now or tomorrow, you will quit. At the present moment, DO NOT USE TOBACCO.

For me, once I started to break my daily routine away from things I associated with smoking/dipping, the mental addiction started to fade and it got easier. Seriously, just get through 2 weeks living your life without tobacco, and I bet you'll see what I mean.

My point is, quitting is so much less complicated than most people make it out to be. You just have to not use tobacco. Difficult, yes, but far from complicated.

Good luck, and believe me, if I can drop nicotine, ANYONE can.

Gregg

I dipped off and on for almost 20 years. Got hooked on the stuff in the military for something to do when everyone else was smoking and i surely didn't want to get hooked on cigarettes lol!

Anyway, when i quit, i used this STUFF, to help me past the mental part of it, which is the worst IMO. Once you get past the physiological part which most people do get past, the psychological or habitual part can be a caste iron bugger to get by. Stuff like this mint snuff helped a lot. It's totally natural, benign and Dentist approved.

Good luck and i agree with Rick. Anyone who hasn't been hooked on nicotine at one time or another has no idea what they are chirping about.

I'll post what I posted to the same thread at the deco stop for everyone's amusement.

Well if we are sharing 'quiting smoking' stories, here is mine. I used to roll my own back in college. I also didn't like the damn filtered cigarettes, so if I ever bummed one, I would break that part off and just suck on the remainder. Anyhow, one night I'm on the balcony smoking with a friend and had apparently rolled my cig a little too losely. One huff later and I inhaled a bunch of burning embers and burned my trachea. I had a real itch right at the back of my throat that would tickle every time I breathed, and not in a pleasant way. It made me cough for a long time and it got infected with bacteria and I subsequently found myself with a bacterial lung infection (bacterial bronchitis) for a good 2 months of coughing up green phlegm. It was freaking nasty. Now even if I smell cigarette smoke I get queasy. I can't even go to most bars unless they don't allow smoking. So, in effect, I got to quit cold turkey, but I wouldn't reccomend the experience to anyone . . . I suppose if you really wanted to try it, you could always purposefully inhale burning things . . .it might help you quit, but then again, your mileage may vary.

I feel your pain and frustration. Strted chewing in the 6th grade (it was coooool then) and kept up the habit till I was in my 20's. When I quit I was going thru 3 cans of copenhagen a day. After work one day I went for my 4th can of the day and decided that enough was enough. I took my silver snuff can out of my pocket and tossed it in the dresser that evening and that was the end of it. I didn't guit because of what it was doing to my teeth, mMy teeth were always white and the dentist always made comments on healthiness of my gums, I quit because of the cost. A roll had crossed the $10 mark and I wasn't going to pay that much for it (same reason I quit going to concerts, $15 for a concert? oh wait, I'm dating myself). I just decided it was time.

I know everyone can't or won't be able to give it up like that but that is the only way I can quit anything! I won't rag on you for chewing (like so many others will when they no longer partake in a habit, smokers especially) but I can tell you that over time your gums will recover some, mine did. My teeth are tight and healthy (done more damage to them by grinding them over the last couple of years).

I have a advantage, my willpower and ability to walk away. I had long hair (and I mean long) for 20 years, one day, whack and it was gone. Gave it to locks of love (12 in. braid). Don't miss it at all and it was time to go. Food same way (except for the diet pepsi) it was time (he says 80 lbs later).

The only way your going to quit is to want to. Everything everyone tells you won't work ifyou don't want it to. I will tell you that I went through 3 packs of doublemint gum a day for a couple of weeks, didn't miss the snuff but had to keep the mouth busy.

Good luck and I wish you well in your endeavour.
Brian

frenchy07:
I feel your pain and frustration. Strted chewing in the 6th grade (it was coooool then) and kept up the habit till I was in my 20's. When I quit I was going thru 3 cans of copenhagen a day. After work one day I went for my 4th can of the day and decided that enough was enough. I took my silver snuff can out of my pocket and tossed it in the dresser that evening and that was the end of it.

I did the same thing, woke up one morning and decided I was through dipping, and I haven't gone back since. Different people use different methods to break habit/addicitions. First thing you have to have is the will and determination to quit, once you have that half of the battle is won. Also, find people around you to support you and that will beat you mercilessly (figuratively speaking of course) if you fall back.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you the best and hope you pull it off.

Paul

There are two types of people in the world. Those who dip, and those who don't.

Decide which one you are, and then BE THAT PERSON.

By the way, I quit dipping (kodiak) the day I graduated college in 1997. Every once in awhile, I'll see someone doing it and figure that I could probably bum one from him and still be ok. But then I convince myself not to.

Gross pictures won't do it. Thinking about how nasty it is to collect your spit in a can won't do it. You just gotta stop. Period.

Good luck, and make your choice.

Skeet,
My name is Aquadoc and I am an addict. My first dip was the first time I shot a deer Dad said "your a man now son heres a dip" Copenhagen. I was 10 years old. I am now 36, I have stopped 2X in my life each time for right at on year. The first time I used Jesus and prayed and ...... then a serious stressor came and 1 yr later I was back on. Second time was 26 Sep03-01Sep04 That time I used the Wellbutren (Zyban) and I told myself it was crazy that Iidentified myself as "a dipper" That was BP a dipper. Well I thought of how silly that sounds not BP the Combat Diver, not BP the Paratrooper, but BP the dipper. Again a failed attempt. My new quit date is the 27th of DEC I will be going to Kiev without dip for twenty days so WWW access is very limited but if you want to make an E-Shake on it I will try to E-mail or post on here and we can quit together. Get your doc to Rx Zyban it does not stop the cravings but at least you don't feel like you want to shoot your face off, or anyone elses for that matter. Tell everyone your quit date I think alll of your Loved ones will support you. and that really helps. Tobbacco is the Devil and it was the hardest thing I have done to stop it hopefully this is the last time I will have to say stopped instead of I QUIT.
Feel fre to PM me and we can talk about it. We can support each other because it is the hardest thing I have ever done, and I know how bad it sucks to go with out it.
Aqua

First dip was one pilfered from a couple guys that were busy playing basketball and not so busy keeping an eye on their tins. I was 6. Needless to say it didn't go so well. I started up again on the baseball diamond and it was heaven. Learned that it wasn't so bad swallowing that spit when I was in a situation that didn't allow spitting. You can imagine how easy that made it. Military schools the cadre would punish us by making us work out with a plug in and no spitting. It was so nice of them to let me enjoy something while I was getting "punished". Long story short, I had a dream one night and that combined with the heartburn that was a result of the dipping allowed me to quit. It wasn't easy though and I miss it every time I see someone throw in a lip. You'll get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom